drilling pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
He's forgotten about it.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Chrisz said:
So is it off yet??? :laugh:

no! it isn't off.

But the crank is off the bike now.
So, i can offer up the challenge of getting it off, as i can now post it to anyone brave enough to take up the challenge! ;)
Rules:
you must film your attempt (using your mobile?) and if you succeed, post the video of your attempt including the moment of it coming undone on here.
if you fail, you must admit it and pass it on to the next person to have a try.

reward for succeeding: the pedals. (one of which is dismantled and the axle of which is on the crank).
(you don't get to keep the crank i'm afraid).

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Dave5N said:
Explain again what a saturated molecule is in electroplating please Mickle? ;)

basically he means that the pedal threads and the crank thread have effectively fused into one material.

DaveP

bonj said:
no! it isn't off.

reward for succeeding: the pedals. (one of which is dismantled and the axle of which is on the crank).
(you don't get to keep the crank i'm afraid).

Could we turn the pedals into an annual award for the years most outstanding engineering effort?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

basically, it needs a vice mounted on an immovable (i.e. fixed and/or very heavy, and sturdy) bench, and an industrial sized pedal spanner. The spanner needs to be really long, AND have long jaws (the one i'm using is not a specific pedal wrench, just a 15mm spanner - fine for normal non-seized pedals but its jaws are shorter than a specific pedal spanner and they fall off the nut when I try to turn it with a broom over the end.)
I've got a vice, but nowhere sturdy enough to mount it (a step ladder was the best thing i had, and was woefully inadequate)
And my standard spanner has not got grippy enough jaws to really put torque on with a broom.
The crank itself is what has to go in the vice. no option of putting the pedal axle in a vice and getting a pipe over the crank i'm afraid because it's the crank that's got the chainwheel on it! (the chainwheel unfortunately doesn't come off the crank arm.)

OP
OP
B

bonj2

i'm going xmas shopping to lincoln on saturday so i'll take it to a bike shop there that i know has got a workshop which has probably got a vice.

DaveP

bonj said:
are you offering tomake a work of art out of them?

If you call a haphazard collection of pedals welding and wood a work of art (could send it in for consideration for the Turner Prize if the crank arm was included) then no…

But for making a prize mmmmmm....

OP
OP
B

bonj2

ah - you're offering yourself up for the challengethen are you steve - and planning on doing it WITHOUT a vice?!:tongue:
so how are you proposing to do it then?
(and don't saywith an oxyacetylene torch 'cos that's LESS accessible than a vice)

Top Bottom