drilling pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bonj2

Steve Austin said:

ah. so you can't do it. thought so.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
When i was younger, i found this bike that had been living in the bottom of a pond. Like you do, i took sorry looking thing home with me with the intention of fixing. It had been in the pond for so long the frame had rusted completely. even to the point it had developed holes in the frame from rust.
So i took to stripping some of the parts for spares, i think more to see if anything was salvageable. So, to the point, the pedals.

They were rusted solid into the crank. Was i able to remove them? yes.

All i used was a decent fitting pedal spanner, with a metre long length of scaffold on the end of this. A bit of oomph and some leverage. It made an almighty crack as the rust seal broke, but it came undone. no vice needed.

Bonj, just because you can't remove does not mean others can't. send it to Mickle, he will be able to remove it. you can send it to me if you like, and i will be able to as well.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Disgruntled Goat said:
Has anyone mentioned keft hand and right hand threads yet.

And what pedals and cranks are we dealing with here? If it's a shitty pair of Sugino cranks and nylon pedals - ditch it!

:tongue::laugh:
Nope, dont think this has been mentioned yet.
But then Bonj being a seriouse cyclist(like me) he already knows;)

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Steve Austin said:
When i was younger, i found this bike that had been living in the bottom of a pond. Like you do, i took sorry looking thing home with me with the intention of fixing. It had been in the pond for so long the frame had rusted completely. even to the point it had developed holes in the frame from rust.
So i took to stripping some of the parts for spares, i think more to see if anything was salvageable. So, to the point, the pedals.

They were rusted solid into the crank. Was i able to remove them? yes.

All i used was a decent fitting pedal spanner, with a metre long length of scaffold on the end of this. A bit of oomph and some leverage. It made an almighty crack as the rust seal broke, but it came undone. no vice needed.
right, ok - great. So what wasthe crank attached to while you turned this massive scaffold pole on the end of a spanner - the bike?
well these cranks of mine aren't attached to a bike anymore. hence why i need a vice to hold them in. now stop arguing.

Steve Austin said:
Bonj, just because you can't remove does not mean others can't. send it to Mickle, he will be able to remove it. you can send it to me if you like, and i will be able to as well.

like i've told you a million times, I would be able to do it, but i haven't got the required environment/tools with which to do so. all i need to do ispop into somewhere where the facilities to do it are available and i'll have it undone. I knew this from the start, the thread was about whether it is easy to drill it out or not. The answer was no, done and dusted, but as usual people feel the need to cockwave about how good they would be able to do it without any problem.

it'snot like it requires some special skill, is it?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

as it happens the correct answer as to how to get it out was something nobody came up with. Which was: give the crank a strong whack on BOTH sides of the pedal axle in turn with a heavy metal hammer, then put it in a vice and turn it. came off quite easily then. no oxyacetylene torches or liquid nitrogen required.

bonj said:
as it happens the correct answer as to how to get it out was something nobody came up with. Which was: give the crank a strong whack on BOTH sides of the pedal axle in turn with a heavy metal hammer, then put it in a vice and turn it. came off quite easily then. no oxyacetylene torches or liquid nitrogen required.

The correct answer? Where did you get this nugget from oh Great One?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

mickle said:
The correct answer? Where did you get this nugget from oh Great One?

yes mickle THE correct answer. being as it is the thing that worked when nothing else did.
Very slightly ovalizes the hole in the crank thus splitting the bond that's caused the pedal threads to seize.
a bike shop did it, like i said they would, as they had a vice mounted on a bench and a proper pedal wrench. and probably crucially, a big hammer

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I think its very useful to post that comment, makes a lot more sense than all of the gibberish you post.
Here you go, i will post it again. You do not need a vice to remove pedals

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I have a real problem with you posting nonsense as fact on this board. you do it in beginners and in know how, and this board has lots of folk who read it and may not post.

So, when YOU post that the correct way to remove pedals is to use a vice and a large clout with a hammer, i will contradict you. Its the wrong way to remove pedals. it works, but its like whipping cream with a power drill. it makes no sense

Top Bottom