Drinking and cycling. Is there a problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This gives me an idea - a drinking/cycling sport. Theres already cyclocross as a crossover so...
A cyclocross race in which you have to have a beer on every lap, could even be considered as a handicap race. Bigger guys with a liking for ale and probably a higher tolerance for alcohol against the weight weenies, faster at first but affected by the beer more as race wears on.

Dunno if it's really a goer, but I fully intend to start training for it.

We could call it cyclocrawl or possibly cyclospew.

Last one to throw up washes all the bikes.

PaddyMcc

Über Member
No. Hic! Oops.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Ha, ha, no, it's really not and there's no clouded judgement. I just think drinking should be done responsibly, if there is such a thing, and that people should be considerate enough not to make themselves more dangerous than they already are.

Excuse me? Are you suggesting cyclists are dangerous? (Hint: try comparing the number of pedestrians killed by cyclists versus cars before answering this.)

What next: a whinge about cyclists not paying road tax?

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Excuse me? Are you suggesting cyclists are dangerous? (Hint: try comparing the number of pedestrians killed by cyclists versus cars before answering this.)

What next: a whinge about cyclists not paying road tax?

Of course cyclists are dangerous and I don't need to compare anything to anything to come to that conclusion. Really depends on a number of variables to conclude how dangerous each cyclist is though, just like anyone else using any other medium of transportation.

Nope, no moan about road tax, that makes no sense...I like not paying road tax and that's for emissions anyway, no?

MarkF

Guru
I use my bike to go the pub, I like to think I am exercising the calories away (aka kidding myself), if I get really drunk I ride back via the canal towpath.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
No, of course - making a meaningful comparison of any kind would spoil the fun of being able to talk utter bollocks.

Umm, ok, well I think someone has already attached some sort of link detailing a drunk cyclist taking someone out & that person dying a few days later...of injuries caused in that collision. Besides that, I don't think it takes much imagination or even common sense to realise that riding a bike can be dangerous, both to the rider and the general population. To pretend otherwise is just a nonsense.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Umm, ok, well I think someone has already attached some sort of link detailing a drunk cyclist taking someone out & that person dying a few days later...of injuries caused in that collision. Besides that, I don't think it takes much imagination or even common sense to realise that riding a bike can be dangerous, both to the rider and the general population. To pretend otherwise is just a nonsense.

I daresay I could find a link about someone choking to death on a Brussels sprout. Are sprouts dangerous?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I was doing my best not to mention the post you are referring to as it is an example of a freak incident. As @theclaud infers, if you look hard enough you will find danger in anything.
Riding a bike can be dangerous, but only if you ride it in the wrong places, or ride it like a nobber; or if you are unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. What that has to do with drinking and cycling is anyones guess. If you suddenly turn into a nobber after a few pints (and we all know people who do) then that is your problem.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
I was doing my best not to mention the post you are referring to as it is an example of a freak incident. As @theclaud infers, if you look hard enough you will find danger in anything.
Riding a bike can be dangerous, but only if you ride it in the wrong places, or ride it like a nobber; or if you are unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. What that has to do with drinking and cycling is anyones guess. If you suddenly turn into a nobber after a few pints (and we all know people who do) then that is your problem.

But that's exactly what I was saying. I'm not saying that as a rule, everyone on a bicycle is lethal or going to cause an accident, just that they can be and that if you have a few drinks, you're probably more dangerous than if you didn't. The question posed was " Drinking and cycling. Is there a problem?" and I honestly believe that drinking and cycling, as opposed to not drinking and cycling, is a problem. Will a car cause more damage than a cyclist? Probably. But that wasn't the question.

I daresay I could find a link about someone choking to death on a Brussels sprout. Are sprouts dangerous?

Ask the person who choked on it.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Forget about choking on them, it seems you can overdose on them
"Doctors have warned certain patients not to hit the Brussels sprouts too hard this Christmas. A man from Ayrshire, Scotland, was hospitalized after eating too many of them last Christmas, the Medical Journal of Australia documented in this month's edition.

But brussels sprouts haters should note that this is a unique case -- not an invitation to toss the odiferous, cruciferous morsels in the trash or hide them in the potatoes. The man was on blood-thinners after receiving a mechanical heart, the BBC reported. The abundant vitamin K in the sprouts promotes blood-clotting, so it nullified the effects of his medication.

"Patients who are taking anticoagulants are generally advised not to eat too many green leafy vegetables," cardiologist Dr. Roy Gardner said in the Mirror.

The medical journal's conclusion for its professional brethren? "Doctors should counsel all patients in whom maintenance of anticoagulation is crucial against overconsumption of such foods." "

Tin Pot

Guru
Brussel sprouts have been misunderstood for too long.

They are the perfect antidote to a sugar overdose, they are a natural Dock Leaf to the Stingy Nettles of Christmas.

Top Bottom