Drinking and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have to put my hand up.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In my teens i used to lock my bike up in town, forget I'd ridden in and walk home, then a few days later, I'd stagger out of the pub, notice my bike locked up outside sainsbury's and ride home ^_^ ...I mean... :blush:

The night i'd dropped some LSD and found my bike locked up outside sainsbury's was interesting... that was a case of learn to ride a bike again, then ride home, the long route. :wacko: It was around 3am, on a proper cycleway that used to be a railway... I'm not that daft :whistle:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Being drunk in charge of a bike is prosecutable.
Breathalyser laws are for motor vehicles, so whilst failing a test is evidence, refusal to take one isn't.
That leaves the PC having to come up with evidence that you are drunk, the same as they would for a pedestrian, and they aren't used to it, so they are a bit reluctant.

Basically, provided you are aware enough to spot a police car, and can ride in a straight line until it goes away, you are OK.

(about to leave pub after 4th pint)

Slick

Guru
I assume its Islay we are talking about?

Lots of ways to get round the distillers, even a friendly local would taxi you and your friends round for a pre arranged fee. :okay:

carpiste

Guru
I don't think anybody here is claiming that it is.

However, once in a while it's quite fun to look back on.
And I guess it`s great to look back 20/30 years ago when a LOT of people drove their cars while drunk or "tipsy"
Oh yes, great days indeed!
Tell that to the innocents who died on our roads and the not so innocents who thought it was ok to take a chance!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
And I guess it`s great to look back 20/30 years ago when a LOT of people drove their cars while drunk or "tipsy"
Oh yes, great days indeed!
Tell that to the innocents who died on our roads and the not so innocents who thought it was ok to take a chance!
I simply don't have the data. It's possible that the odd pissed-up cyclist might have killed innocents but I don't have the numbers. Do you?

carpiste

Guru
I simply don't have the data. It's possible that the odd pissed-up cyclist might have killed innocents but I don't have the numbers. Do you?
No I don`t have numbers and I didn`t say that drunk cyclists killed innocents but they have, and I still don`t have figures, been involved in alcohol related deaths! Unfortunately the recording of drunk cyclists are not recorded as vehicle drivers and of course a LOT of cyclists will be injured falling off bikes because they are impaired!
At the end of the day it is illegal to ride a bike on a road whilst impaired through drink/drugs. If a drunken cyclist came out of a side street or wobbled into the path of your car you wouldn`t think it was a good idea then I`m sure!
I said it was not big and not clever to cycle while drunk. I stick to that and will not take it back just because I don`t have the figures.

When I was at University I went to a party - far side of the city but really good friend

took my bike because - what else

when I decided to go home - AFTER the incident with the aggressive Welshman which was possibly the coolest thing I have EVER done

Anyway - I was off home

some friends insisted I drink 3 strong black coffees before - for some reason or other

then I headed home

after a while I realised my bike was wandering all over the place

Yea God I must be p*****d
stopped - but I could stand up OK - hmmm

started again - bike wandering all over

looked at bike - in a rather drunk manner

rear wheel nuts were a fraction short of coming off - so as I rode along the wheel must have been moving back and forth on each side of the axle

whcih would have been obvious to a sober person

but a student coming home from a party in the 1980s - not so much

tightened it up using fingers only and all was fine

started to carry a basic tool kit after that!!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When I was at University I went to a party - far side of the city but really good friend

took my bike because - what else

when I decided to go home - AFTER the incident with the aggressive Welshman which was possibly the coolest thing I have EVER done

Anyway - I was off home

some friends insisted I drink 3 strong black coffees before - for some reason or other

then I headed home

after a while I realised my bike was wandering all over the place

Yea God I must be p*****d
stopped - but I could stand up OK - hmmm

started again - bike wandering all over

looked at bike - in a rather drunk manner

rear wheel nuts were a fraction short of coming off - so as I rode along the wheel must have been moving back and forth on each side of the axle

whcih would have been obvious to a sober person

but a student coming home from a party in the 1980s - not so much

tightened it up using fingers only and all was fine

started to carry a basic tool kit after that!!
Fun stuff happens! No need to beat yourself up.

Top Bottom