Drinking and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seevio

Guru
As a general rule of thumb, I work on the principle that if I can walk/stand without staggering all over the place, I'm good to cycle. On the very rare occasion when this was not the case, I found that it was better to use the bike as a walking support.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I can attest that if a drunken friend falls over onto you, you'll fall over too and your bike will suffer. As will your wallet. Mech hanger, mech and truing the wheel up, since you ask.
Especially galling since I'd only just built the bike in question, and spent ages getting the indexing perfect...

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
When talking about drinking and cycling, it’s a matter of safety, not tickets. We don’t even ask questions like that about driving automobiles anymore for a reason. We all know better.

As for me now at 65 years old, it has been since I was 18 and went over the handlebars of my Peugeot UO-8 riding home “after having a few” and landing on my face, cracking 4 of my front teeth and sending a bottom tooth through my upper lip. (Try to even get a lower tooth to your upper lip!) Off to the hospital I went by way of ambulance, unconsciousness, to get cleaned up and have 6 stitches put in my face. To this day I don’t know if I hit something that turned my wheel or if I was just a bit too wobbly from too many enjoyable beverages shared with my also buzzed-and-riding friends. I had not “meant” to over-consume, but there I was with my bike, so what’s a guy to do? (Wrong choice on my part.)

My advice is it’s not worth the risk to you or possibly others. I have also never ridden with less than 1 hand on the handlebar since then either. Let’s just say that was a “sobering realization.” Another thing... what if you simply swerved a bit, but it caused a car to also swerve and crash head-on into a tree? You can bet they’d be trying to put together the pieces as to what happened. Then what? Hope they don’t find you or go to the police station and volunteer information. Neither option is very inviting.

Not worth the risk or potential damage to yourself, others or your conscience. Leave your bike out of that equation for that fun adventure and encourage the others in your group to follow suit. Be an example and don’t give into a poor judgement pack mentality.

Good luck.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Point of order paul, how can drinking beer deplete your hydration?
Sounds a bit like that old caution about not drinking beer as it's a diuretic to me.

I see why you're asking because my post can be read two ways. My meaning is the riding can/will deplete one's energy and hydration. I don't know about others, though I have a friend who reports similar, but I can lose 1-2kg on a ride especially in the summer. It's all fluid loss despite me usually drinking a litre of water before starting and copious amounts on the ride. Today I'll drink at least four bottles, possibly six.

Rightly or wrongly my view is if one is dehydrated and hungry from riding alcohol will have a quicker, greater effect than otherwise.

I don't really understand how folk can justify some of the situations described in this thread. Legal or not.

Cirrus

Veteran
I simply don't have the data. It's possible that the odd pissed-up cyclist might have killed innocents but I don't have the numbers. Do you?
I doubt there are too many cyclist on pedestrian fatalities, even if a drunk cyclist causes an accident that they get killed in, I doubt it'd be pleasant for a driver to see their mangled remains or the emergency services who would need to witness it/clear up the mess, either, especially if it were a collision with an HGV.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I went to watch my firm play cricket in July 2019 and had a couple of pints and a large BBQ meal over the course of a couple of hours.

Cycling home, a dangerous driver tailgated me deliberately and aggressively and despite very clear video footage of the incident, pleaded not guilty and went to court. I was asked how much I had drunk that evening and was glad that I had not overdone it. He was convicted.

I would not have driven after 2 pints, and the video showed that I was making good straight progress at a respectable speed, but it might have undermined the highly merited prosecution if I had been worse the wear for drink. It's also easier to make a mistake on the bike if you're tired or not paying full attention.

Reactions: C R

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No I don`t have numbers and I didn`t say that drunk cyclists killed innocents but they have, and I still don`t have figures, been involved in alcohol related deaths! Unfortunately the recording of drunk cyclists are not recorded as vehicle drivers and of course a LOT of cyclists will be injured falling off bikes because they are impaired!
At the end of the day it is illegal to ride a bike on a road whilst impaired through drink/drugs. If a drunken cyclist came out of a side street or wobbled into the path of your car you wouldn`t think it was a good idea then I`m sure!
I said it was not big and not clever to cycle while drunk. I stick to that and will not take it back just because I don`t have the figures.

But deaths and vehicles involved are recorded. Certainly in the UK. The data is also published. Pedestrians or cyclists deaths due to a cyclist are near enough none existent. Very rare events. It’s why they make the news. Even less so drunk cyclists. You’ve as much chance as an asteroid landing on your head.

I do wish people would not post false equivalence of the cognitive load of riding a bike with that of a car and the potential outcomes.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Don’t all bikes have pint glass holders these days ? Here’s the perfect vehicle.

mg_9916-2-large-1.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
since I was 18 and went over the handlebars of my Peugeot UO-8 riding home “after having a few” and landing on my face, cracking 4 of my front teeth and sending a bottom tooth through my upper lip.

I've been doing stuff like that on a bike since 18, fully sober ! :laugh:

Not fell off drunk. :okay:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
In deepest Norfolk backroads a few weeks back after a bit of a session, I saw the lights of a car in the distance and sensibly decided to stop in plenty of time to let it past, whereupon I had a clipless moment and ended-up lying in the hedgerow much to the laughter of my companion. 2 Days later (sober) we rode by the same point and Foodie + Brompton shaped imprint remained....

Top Bottom