Drinking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I had too much wine on Saturday evening and spent the whole next day more or less in bed.

I was unable to go cycling
I was unable to take my son karting
etc etc etc

So now I am on day one of no more booze.

I will keep you posted.

postman

Legendary Member
It can be done.I stopped dead in Jan 2012.I had just spent thirteen nights in hospital with a burst gallbladder.It nearly finished me off.I was a casual binge drinker.But an all inclusive holiday finished me off.Free whisky with coffee at elevenses,another just after lunch more in the evening.But then for the next six months i continued,till one night BANG,what a pain,i never want to go through that again or put my family through the worry.I have one Jack Daniels and cola with my Christmas lads dinner.And seeing how much that cost this year it might be my last.You can stop if you want to.So all the best.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Years behind @postman ’s run. I’m only about 13 months in. I wasn’t a heavy drinker but it was never the ‘during’ that was the problem, it was always the ‘after’. I just really hated hangovers and would get them even if I only had a couple. Rubbish night’s sleep and lethargy ensued for the whole day.

When I finally realised it spoiled the quality of my free time and with my kids, I gave Dry January a go last year and I’m still enjoying it. Don't miss it one bit.

Davos87

Guru
Fair play to those who have binned the demon drink for a variety of reasons. However, having a nice glass of wine with a meal, a few pints with friends or a lovely single malt in front of the fire with a good book is one of life’s great pleasures. We all over indulge at times and suffer the consequences the day after. Everything in moderation.

pawl

Legendary Member
Only drink very occasionally after being diagnosed as borderline diabetic not that I drank much anyway.
A rough estimate per annum would be 3 glasses of wine 5 plants of beer.

My problem was eating junk food

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I had too much wine on Saturday evening and spent the whole next day more or less in bed.

I was unable to go cycling
I was unable to take my son karting
etc etc etc

So now I am on day one of no more booze.

I will keep you posted.
Lightweight....

Sandra6

Veteran
I only drink "too much" - to the point of having the whole of the next day, or even 3, ruined by a hangover - once or twice a year.
I did dryuary again this year, more as ahealth kick than because I drink a lot.
I've had a few drinks since, but I don't drink to get drunk, so no hangover here.

GuyBoden

Guru
Moderation is Temperance...............
4Ipswich_Temp_Tractssm.gif

iandg

Legendary Member
I was drinking 3-5 drinks/night, but the nature of my job was that I had 3 or 4 nights of on-call per week on which I didn't drink. I was suspended last August (not drink related) and the on-call stopped so every night became a drinking night,. It took me 'til October to start and get my mind sorted and when I did, I started to look at how much I was drinking - I was averaging about 70 units/week.

I haven't stopped drinking but have managed to introduce a level of self control and now have between 2 and 4 alcohol free nights/week and limit myself to about 5 units on the nights I do drink.

The 'drink aware' phone app has been helpful in getting the habit under control.

Top Bottom