Drinking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was drinking 3-5 drinks/night, but the nature of my job was that I had 3 or 4 nights of on-call per week on which I didn't drink. I was suspended last August (not drink related) and the on-call stopped so every night became a drinking night,. It took me 'til October to start and get my mind sorted and when I did, I started to look at how much I was drinking - I was averaging about 70 units/week.

I haven't stopped drinking but have managed to introduce a level of self control and now have between 2 and 4 alcohol free nights/week and limit myself to about 5 units on the nights I do drink.

The 'drink aware' phone app has been helpful in getting the habit under control.
Thanks for the heads-up on the App, may try that :-)

Tin Pot

Guru
If only drinking wasn’t such fun!

My hangovers on small amounts can be three days long, if I’m not eating and drinking water with it.

I quit for five years, but I think moderation can be achieved now.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My drinking has a few different patterns. Most of the time, I don't drink at all, about once a month I will go out for 3 or 4 pints, unless I am travelling with work, then it is most nights. All very manageable, then a couple of times a year a complete binge leaving me suffering for 4 days, the ones where I swear off alcohol for a while. So overall I probably consume alcohol about 30 times a year and always in a social setting.

iandg

Legendary Member
Thanks for the heads-up on the App, may try that :-)

The 'drinkware' app is a bit awkward to use at first but helps keep track of how much you're drinking and you can set goals (drink free nights, drink/units limit per night).

The thing that's awkward is that it lists beers by name and if the beer you drink isn't there you need to find something of a similar strength and record that (for a 500ml can of 4.4% Deuchars I record it as a 500ml Fursty Ferret).

It would be better if it just listed beers in strengths (3.8%, 4% 4.2%....) and a choice of volume (250ml, 1/2pint, 330ml, 500ml.......................).

Fab Foodie

The 'drinkware' app is a bit awkward to use at first but helps keep track of how much you're drinking and you can set goals (drink free nights, drink/units limit per night).

The thing that's awkward is that it lists beers by name and if the beer you drink isn't there you need to find something of a similar strength and record that (for a 500ml can of 4.4% Deuchars I record it as a 500ml Fursty Ferret).

It would be better if it just listed beers in strengths (3.8%, 4% 4.2%....) and a choice of volume (250ml, 1/2pint, 330ml, 500ml.......................).
Yeah, I can see that.... wine by tbe bottle would be useful too!

It’s a bit like calorie counting apps. I don’t expect 100% accuracy, but a rough guide to help me know where I am/progressing.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Well i'm only two days in and my goal is to get to my Birthday, 2nd May without a drink. It will be fine.

I only drink when we go out and only really started about 3 years ago when my brother and wife would visit

It has taken me a long time to actually like beer, currently ipa type is okay but if it was banned I would not miss it

I enjoy the first 2 pints but after that Diet Coke is a much better taste!

I don’t drink to excess cause I hate the thought of paying for a headache so usually stop after 3 or 4 depending on whether we are to eat or not

When the bladder requires emptying I do think what a waste of money and since dry January I have found it harder to go to the pub but the wife loves a drink and so it’s a nice social event with the wife

screenman

Legendary Member
I am rather good at giving up, mainly due to having had a lot of practise.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used to live by the addage " if you dont drink every day how can your morning improve :laugh:

I give up totally from time to time, but i do enjoy a few at weekends.
The thing with wine, Red wine is it can be poison to you.
I used to adore it but now a bottle will make me ill all day and not right after that for a day or 2.
I just cant cope with it anymore which is annoying.

Fab Foodie

I used to live by the addage " if you dont drink every day how can your morning improve :laugh:

I give up totally from time to time, but i do enjoy a few at weekends.
The thing with wine, Red wine is it can be poison to you.
I used to adore it but now a bottle will make me ill all day and not right after that for a day or 2.
I just cant cope with it anymore which is annoying.
It was my Birthday yesterday, I had 4 pints real ale at lunchtime and a bottle of Red in the evening. Was up at 5am for work this morning fresh as a daisy. I may have a problem....

Top Bottom