drive side crank stuck

• Thread starter Deleted member 41544
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 41544

I'm stripping down a frame to build back up, but the drive side crank bolt is stuck, i've give it some welly and pulled with as much leverage I can muster with the equipment i have but still can't move it, is there a way around this for example removing the non drive side bb cup? I won't be re-using any of the old parts so it doesn't matter how it comes off just as long as it does...........

migrantwing

Veteran
Spray lots of WD40 in and around the bolt, try and get some in the thread itself. Let it seep down into the hole, try and lay the bike on its side. Leave it a whole day (maybe do it when you wake) and then try again the next day.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

i've used wd40 and penetrating spray, I've hit the bolt with a punch and used two long spanners on the crank bolt tool but it won't budge, I am turning it the right way, i served some time as an apprentice hgv mechanic so i'm familiar with stuck bolts, the non drive side came straight out, i was just wondering if i could remove it while still attached to the bottom bracket as i don't have much at home i.e a gas axe, a work bench and a vice and a 6 foot pulling bar

Tojo

Über Member
i've used wd40 and penetrating spray, I've hit the bolt with a punch and used two long spanners on the crank bolt tool but it won't budge, I am turning it the right way, i served some time as an apprentice hgv mechanic so i'm familiar with stuck bolts, the non drive side came straight out, i was just wondering if i could remove it while still attached to the bottom bracket as i don't have much at home i.e a gas axe, a work bench and a vice and a 6 foot pulling bar

What BB and chainset is in the frame that you are trying to get out.....! do tell I may be of help....:secret:

One thing though, don't take the Gas-Axe to it....:eek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

its a square taper bottom bracket, apart from that i don't know much else

Brommyboy

Über Member
Take the whole BB out! The LH cup first. The RH side has a LH thread. Trying to undo the crank bolt may free it for you. They can then be scrapped if still unable to free that bolt.

Tim Hall

Take the whole BB out! The LH cup first. The RH side has a LH thread. Trying to undo the crank bolt may free it for you. They can then be scrapped if still unable to free that bolt.
But if it's a cartridge type BB, how does he get the tool on the there with the crank in the way? Angle grinder FTW.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

@Brommyboy Thats what I was thinking/hoping I could do, its only a cheap crank anyway I just need it out

Gatters

Time for a rethink? Trying to undo the RH thread crank bolt will not undo a LH thread cartridge it will tend to tighten the cartridge ;)

its not very likely to work either due to the larger diameter of the cartridge

Id just give it some welly and if it shears all well n good

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The bolt may well have been treated with Loctite 'studlock' in which case a gentle heating with a blowtorch or paint stripping gun may release it (studlock breaks down at 280 degrees C so you don't need to get it that hot to break the bond)

classic33

Leg End Member
If you're not planning on reusing the crank itself, Two diagonal cuts with a hacksaw and remove part of the crank. Done on opposite sides the crank will just come out. After that you have a bit more freedom to work on the bolt itself.

Tojo

Über Member
Locktighted bolts can be freed ( unless its totally seized / corroded ) by putting a straight drive allen into the bolt and giving it a good whack with a hammer. it send a shock down the threads an breaks the loctite as if its old it calcifies and binds the thread, we used to do this with stud bolts in engine blocks that are much the same scenario, its like using an impact driver, do that and use a new bit or a good unused allen and put a steady pressure on it with an extension and if that fails it may be a demolition project to save the frame BB.......:surrender:

Last edited:
Top Bottom