Drive train replacement time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just over a year ago, I replaced my chainset*, cassette and chain. The bike had done roughly 3,000 miles from new. I posted on here about it and the consensus was that I wasn't cleaning my bike properly. I didn't really agree, but took note.

So, I upped my bike cleaning game to almost @ianrauk levels. Bike (especially chain, cassette and rear mech) gets cleaned thoroughly and re-lubed (finish line ceramic chain lube) after every ride.

What I haven't been doing so religiously is measuring chain stretch. Today I did and blow me if it wasn't well beyond 1.0. The man at my LBS says that having let things go that far I should also replace the cassette as a new chain will jump. Closer examination of the big ring shows sharks teeth. So maybe a new big ring is called for?

Really? It's not like this bike is a workhorse commuter. It's my best bike and only goes on pampered rides and gets cleaned when it gets home.

Questions
  • I guess I need to replace the big ring, the cassette and the chain?
  • What am I doing wrong? I'm cleaning the thing after every ride. The chain gets cleaned with an oily rag, the cassette gets flossed, the jockey wheels get de-gunked with a lolly stick or a screwdriver.
  • Admittedly I've not measured chain stretch after every ride. Anything else?
  • What particular kind of cheese should I prefer for my next components?
  • Should I calm down a bit?
GPS magic provides precise stats. I've done 46 rides, totalling 4,587.1 km (2,850.4 miles) and 45,381.0 m climbed (148,887.8 ft). I suppose that lugging 93kg of me around may put a bit of extra strain on things.

46 rides! That's nothing.

* Could have just done the big ring, but did the whole chainset for other reasons.
upload_2016-8-27_13-49-54.png

upload_2016-8-27_13-50-32.png

si_c

Guru
Definitely change the cassette and chain, I'd give the chainset a whirl as is, if it does skip (and you'll know really quickly if it does) then change it, should be ok though for more than 3000miles.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've got a new chain. I may measure chain stretch with a rule (if I can find one) as I know some people on here are very sniffy about chain wear gauges. I'll fit that and when I've calmed down a bit I'll consider what else needs doing. The cassette looks fine to my eye. The big ring teeth look a bit pointy.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Here's a couple of pics of the drivetrain of my fairly new Pinnacle Hybrid which has budget Shimano bits.

Seems to me there's not a lot wrong with your front ring or cassette.

P1000323.jpg

P1000324.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm riding 4-5000 miles a year split between two bikes, my geared bike is 10 speed tiagra, I would expect a year for the chain and 3 years to a cassette. As others have said change the chain and see how things go, if it jumps then change the cassette.

Top Bottom