Driver behaviour during the pandemic - my honest experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got some offensive language on twitter for saying this, so I want to put my views more completely.

Since lockdown started in the UK I have commuted every-day mainly on A/B roads, and have seen far more examples of considerate driving towards cyclists. I don't just mean drivers sticking to the rules, I mean drivers giving us twice the recommended passing space, or slowing right down before passing, even giving way when they don't need to; stuff like that. This has made me happy during these awful times.

People are sad that traffic has gone back up a bit in the last fortnight-or-so; well so am I, but the levels are well below February figures, and I'm enjoying it. There may be hot-spots (round MaccyDs, or garden centres??) that are busier, I'm sorry about that, but I haven't seen them. Official stats confirm that overall, numbers are still well below normal.

On social media people are rightly highlighting a few psychos causing deaths, serious injuries or just fear; they are right to highlight these (under pandemic or not) and I support them. But that doesn't make it wrong to take pleasure in the overt kindness of many strangers I've met on the roads since March. I can't describe crashes or appaling driving that I have not seen. (although of course in 3 months I have witnessed the odd idiot - just far less than in Jan/Feb.)

Forgive me, people, for seeing some light in the dark.
M x

gavgav

Guru
My experience has been as per normal, with driver behaviour, some idiots, including one that I thought was about to knock me off, and the majority being decent drivers. Not seen any change on that front.

Mike_P

Guru
Largely good, certainly drivers so far have hung back and allowed me to move out to socially distance from pedestrians but I suspect that is not going to last.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It's great that this has been your experience. I have had plenty of rides with nothing but great interactions with other people using the roads, too.

Looking at my stats I have reported far fewer drivers for dangerous driving than usual, only one in April, one in May and one from this Tuesday.

Twitter can make it seem like you will encounter a homicidal driver every time you get out on a bike, when you get to hear about so many more nasty incidents which aren't reported anywhere else.

GetFatty

Über Member
I've seen fewer idiots on my daily ride (WFH until at least Xmas if not forever). And even then with the exception of yesterday's bus driver, my new definition of idiot is overtaking me on the other side of a traffic island on an otherwise empty road. I could be less strict and say the action was better for them and me :smile:

Joffey

Big Dosser
I live on a road that has seen traffic levels back up to normal and an increase in speeding :sad:

The country roads round us are still quiet though :okay:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Mainly good, however there are still the inconsiderate few who appear to want to get nowhere that little bit quicker!!
Perhaps a certain number of drivers have tried cycling while we have been restricted, who knows?
Sad that you have negative/abusive replies to your post

snorri

Legendary Member
I see fewer vehicles on rural roads but feel the average speed of motor vehicles has increased, a view supported by police according to a newspaper article earlier this week.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My experience has been polarisation: a greater proportion showing exaggerated care and concern for cyclists, but also a greater proportion showing careless or wilful endangerment of cyclists.

Data has been referenced on increased sourcing showing to back up my prejudices here.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I think the best time was when the roads were fairly clear of the usual riffraff and exercise was limited to 1hr a day.

Because in the last two weeks I've been cut in front of multiple times, pulled out on a few times and almost squashed by a bus. I have also been close passed a few times too but even more so now that the lockdown rules have been relaxed.

I always travel the same loop from North London into the city and back for exercise. Most drivers are pretty well behaved but the hot weather does bring out some numpties.

The other day I was stuck behind a guy in an old merc convertible that wouldn't allow me to filter past and didn't like it when I went the other way around him when he blocked me off... Some attitudes you just can't change

My experience has been polarisation: a greater proportion showing exaggerated care and concern for cyclists, but also a greater proportion showing careless or wilful endangerment of cyclists.

Data has been referenced on increased sourcing showing to back up my prejudices here.
<I don't understand your last para, sorry.>

I can quite believe the polarisation. I haven't seen the increase in bad driving, but it's hard to ignore the quantity of internet anecdotes across a range of channels. And the accident stats seem to support it.

But my point stands - a lot of people ARE taking more care as they drive near cyclists. They are not mere numbers, to be averaged away in the statistics; I like to celebrate sunny days, not ignore them as temporary glitches before the next winter!

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the best time was when the roads were fairly clear of the usual riffraff and exercise was limited to 1hr a day.

Because in the last two weeks I've been cut in front of multiple times, pulled out on a few times and almost squashed by a bus. I have also been close passed a few times too but even more so now that the lockdown rules have been relaxed.

I always travel the same loop from North London into the city and back for exercise. Most drivers are pretty well behaved but the hot weather does bring out some numpties.

The other day I was stuck behind a guy in an old merc convertible that wouldn't allow me to filter past and didn't like it when I went the other way around him when he blocked me off... Some attitudes you just can't change
Never was, at least not in England ;)

GetFatty

Über Member
Never was, at least not in England ;)
I thought it was initially. There was no time limit on the other activities but I believe that until Boris made his first easing of lockdown speech you were only supposed to exercise once a day for an hour

Top Bottom