Driver deliberately hits cyclist in Colchester.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
A really disturbing story of a Mondeo driver who deliberately swerves and knocks a cyclist off his bike before speeding off. He was later apprehended, taken to court and will be sentenced next year.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/shocking-video-shows-car-swerving-to-hit-cyclist-in-colchester-1-5327532

Attempted homicide? It’s stories like this that make me wish they’d bring back hanging. Although I do wonder how aggressively the victim gestured to the driver. Still that is absolutely no reason to drive a tonne of metal at someone.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
He did, though, plead guilty.

Though not at the time, it would appear.

He was charged in June 2016, but not convicted until 18 months later. Presumably he spent most of the intervening period maintaining he was innocent until he saw sense, otherwise why did it take so long ?

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Not 'attempted homicide', which isn't even a thing as far as I know, but dangerous driving, actual bodily harm and common assault.

I'm a bit puzzled, though, by the yawning chasm between wishing to hang someone to death because they knocked someone off their bike, and thinking the aggressiveness of a gesture might be a mitigating factor. I do hope you're not a high court judge.

Nope, not a lawyer or judge. Just someone who hopes it never happens to him. Plus it p1ss3d me off seeing it. :angry:

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Obviously the red mist descended and he made off hoping he wouldn’t be caught and he very nearly wasn’t had it not been for the dash cam footage. Of course he regretted it immediately after but ‘Heat of the moment ‘ doesn’t really mitigate what could have been a very serious incident.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I could hardly believe the spontaneous anger behind that despicable driver's action. Would he have done the same if it was the driver of another car that had annoyed him? If not, cyclists had better watch out. Utterly depressing.

Tin Pot

Guru
We don’t allow people to walk the streets with swords anymore, why do we allow them to drive murder-rams?

Duffy

Über Member
I doubt that justification would get you far to be honest......

Bit of stupid thing for you to say and arguably an overstatement of the intentions of the average Joe

Last edited:

Duffy

Über Member
It’s an imperfect world, which isn’t to belittle the tragic events here but to categorise every mororist.......

Still a stupid thing to say

Drago

Legendary Member
Bit of stupid thing for you to say and arguably an overstatement of the intentions of the average Joe

You're assuming that the average Joe even has intentions to drive lawfully and cautiously to begin with - I don't know what roads you use, but the ones I use are full of average Joes who do neither. Intentions work both ways.

Duffy

Über Member
Your assuming that every average Joe is a murder waiting to happen.

Sorry that's not my experience.

Top Bottom