Driverless car can interpret a cyclists hand signal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I can't wait.

A driverless car won't get drunk; or tired; or distracted changing radio stations or taking a phone call.
They won't get impatient; won't get drunk; won't overtake too close; won't speed.
They won't left hook; won't tailgate; won't pull out at a side road or roundabout.

Even if they are sometimes overwhelmed with input, and fail to prevent a collision, it is inconceivable that they will be anything other than a massive improvement over the safety record of fallible and emotional humans.

I can't wait.

A driverless car won't get drunk; or tired; or distracted changing radio stations or taking a phone call.
They won't get impatient; won't get drunk; won't overtake too close; won't speed.
They won't left hook; won't tailgate; won't pull out at a side road or roundabout.

Even if they are sometimes overwhelmed with input, and fail to prevent a collision, it is inconceivable that they will be anything other than a massive improvement over the safety record of fallible and emotional humans.
With some exceptions of course - BMW, Audi, Subaru WRX STI .
Anthropomorphising a bit more, which ones would get drunk?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
And if you read the full story on the BBC we site not one of the incidents was attributable to the Google or Delphi cars themselves, and a fair proportion occured while under manual control. 100% of the incidents were the fault of other road users.

So far both 100% safe and foolproof then.
Can't be foolproof, they still allowed a driver to control it!

Dan B

Disengaged member
The spurious claim, often made is that they are fail-safe. I'm yet to be convinced, although I still suspect that the US courts will decide the ultimate fate of driverless car technology. Wait for the fist $multi-million awards to some poor sod clobbered and crippled by one of these cars. Google will not want the adverse publicity, let alone giving away the ca$h.

Why do you assume they'd lose the case? Are they claiming the car is infallible? I'd imagine that unless manufacturing defect can be proven, the only claim with any chance of success will be against the owner's insurance exactly as it is now

sidevalve

Über Member
If the car is to be perfect will it expect perfect behaviour from others ? If there is a cycle lane will cyclists be expected to use it [or compelled to use it]? Cyclists are a minority [sorry that's the truth] be careful of what you wish for, eg if you don't signal and get hit then there will be NO arguments YOU will be responsible no ifs no buts and YOU will have to pay up - result compulsory insurance for cyclists. Slagging off drivers is a fine hobby but cyclists aint perfect and if the machine is driving they may have to be.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've got no problems being held responsible for my own actions when on the road. I'm insured anyway, so it presents no change for me, except that the 4 wheelers will behave predictably and observe the rules of the road impeccably. Bring it on.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Today's BBC text service is reporting that of the 48 driveless cars running around California, four have been involved in accidents, IN THE LAST EIGHT MONTHS.

Not 100% safe and foolproof then.

"AFTER reports that Google’s road testing of its self-driving car technology has resulted in 11 accidents since commencing, comes yet more shocking news.

Police in New Jersey are said to be looking for a self-driving Google car in connection with a late-night hit and run near the Jersey turnpike.

Google has said they will offer as much assistance to the police as possible, but admit the car has ‘gone rogue’.

“We had built the cars and its accompanying software in such a way as to best mimic real, human driving and this is the unforeseen consequence,” head of Google driverless car technology Alan Beaumont told WWN.

“I guess when it struck that mother-of-two it had a fight of flight moment and just bolted,” added Beaumont.

At a press conference not far from the hit-and-run incident, chief of police in New Jersey Rick Bannon appealed for the perpetrator to come forward.

“We know you’re scared, but it is time to hand yourself in,” Bannon said before news reporters, “we believe the car may be hiding out in a garage, or seeking the help of a local mechanic to repair its significant bumper damage”.

Police would not confirm whether or not the car was one operating system update over the limit."

Top Bottom