Drivers: Go ahead and hit a cyclist. A bit of fun for only £90

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sometimes I wonder if the criminal justice system thinks that the punishment does fit the crime. In the same way that drivers don't understand that in hitting a cyclist means actually hitting the person's body, not their vehicle.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It is time we had a law of Strict liability, this is common in most western European countries, in fact the UK is one of only five countries which does not have a law of strict liability, the other four are: Cyprus, Ireland, Malta and Romania. The principle is simple, the person who is in charge of the heavier vehicle should be presumed liable in a crash. For example, if a lorry was in a collision with a car, the lorry driver would have to take the greater responsibility. So where the driver/rider of a motor vehicle is involved in a crash with a cyclist or pedestrian, the motorist would be presumed liable. This is not always popular with motorists, there are people who are not willing to take responsibility for their actions, but this is why we need to enshrine strict liability in law. The other objection which is often given by motorists is that this would lead to cyclists and pedestrians deliberately running into motor vehicles in order to claim compensation. This seems unlikely, but where the motorist could prove the cyclist or pedestrian was at fault, i.e., if the motor vehicle was stationary and a cyclist ran into the back of it, then the motorist would not be liable (as is currently the case for crashes between motorists).

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Not surprising this RAB was the scene of an incident

The last 3 days running I have captured cars going straight through the red lights..every day, without fail. And a numpty today blustering out without looking (Can't see much because my cam is bar mounted, you can just see the nose of the bonnet). Because it's quite a fast RAB it's important to maintain a good pace not to be mown down from behind...and because traffic goes round quite fast then often drivers will start to nose out over one lane if they see a gap behind whatever is coming around, ready to take the gap...that's what I thought this one was doing until he just carried on oblivious

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
he can sue on their insurance

that was my initial reaction as well. I would have thought this verdict will lay a clear path fot the PI solicitor to sue for large damages (assuming the offender can pay them...or has insurance to pick up the bill)

That said, having your insurer pick up a tab is not really going to teach people in these situations any lessons.

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
the UK is one of only five countries which does not have a law of strict liability
Yes, perhaps that's because, in the UK at least, there appears to be an increasing tendency for individuals to attempt avoiding (if not evading) the taking of responsibility for their actions.

Top Bottom