Drivers have zero patience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
New scam in Nottingham £50 for professional drivers to go on cyclists awareness course.

There you go fixed that for you.

They get paid £50, I think, if they go on it. Take them out on a bike probably for the first time, see what it is like for the cyclist. From what I have seen of many "professional" drivers attitude to cyclists might not be a bad thing. Probably an easy £50 if you are furloughed or taxi driver without much airport work. Not really a scam you don't have to do it*

*AFAIU - might be wrong though

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
How do you get to be a professional driver in the first place if you don't already have the appropriate awareness of other road users?

I think professional merely applies to the fact that someone pays you to drive a vehicle - it does not imply any competence.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I approached a pedestrian crossing today (a major one) and there were already two cars in line stationary there, allowing people to walk across. I was maybe 30-40 yards from the last car in line, so started freewheeling towards the crossing. I heard a car behind me accelerate and it swung out fast past me, then pulled in, only to have to brake very shortly after.
Apart from impatient, I reckon that's one of the most mystifying pieces of driving I've witnessed. Just beyond reason :wacko:

If perhaps the driver becomes sick in the future, his GP will hopefully prescribe cycling:smile:

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
https://www.transportnottingham.com/professional-drivers-pedal-a-mile-in-someone-elses-shoes/

Says the course is free. Does not mention being paid £50 but think that was what they said on the local news last night
I’ve often thought that as part of being punished when caught out for bad driving round cyclists the driver should have to attend a course, where on a track they are close passed by cars, trucks and buses, then set up a roadworks traffic light system so they can be tailgated all the way through and finally have someone pull out in front of them/left hook them at a junction, then take them inside and show photographs of the aftermath of people being killed or injured and tell them the victims story ie not just a bloody cyclist but a person with a family

rivers

How far can I go?
Both myself and one of my friends were intentionally sprayed with windscreen wash on a ride this evening. I managed to catch up the driver to have a word. It did not go well. But I've got his reg number, and my friend is a police officer. Plus his vehicle was declared SORN, with an insurance check being done tomorrow. He proceeded to try and follow us around town, but were able to lose him. Anti-social driving report filed as well as reported a SORN vehicle online. This could get interesting

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
Out tonight, on a narrow lane, where if I get a car behind me I am inclined to pull over to let them past. Car comes up behind me, hoot, hoot, I made no effort to get out of his way. Later similar situation, car behind me, I pull over when convenient, thank you from the driver - that is how it should be more peasant all round.

I can tell you the guy who hooted me wasn't going anywhere in a hurry. Just driving around with his girlfriend in the car.

Stephenite

Membå
Shout out for the drivers here (sorry).

Earlier today I was driving to the beach, with the gf and kids, in southern Norway along an (UK equivalent) A-road with one lane in each direction. Speed limit 80 kph with long straight, flat stretches (where one is tempted to drive at 100kph), few vehicles on the road. Came round a bend to find a car breaking and pulling in to the side, with what looked like another car across the lane in front of it. Worked out the car in front was half on and half off the road. Had to decide whether to stop or carry on. Now, in Norway, the law states it is a criminal act not to help someone on the road who obviously needs help. It goes through my mind what tools/eqt I might have and the type of vehicle I'm driving (I've driven off-roaders, and vans, and diggers, tractors, etc), there appears to be no immediate threat to life or limb, there is someone else stopping and, I think, I don't know if I can help here - and I have the kids with me. Well, that was it - I don't know if I can help or not, and the law says I have to help if I can. So I stop.

Five cars stopped (one drove on - i dont know why) and we managed to push the vehicle off and then onto the road again. Much to the relief of the occupants.

So, err, hurray for drivers!

:tongue::okay:

DRM

Guru
Both myself and one of my friends were intentionally sprayed with windscreen wash on a ride this evening. I managed to catch up the driver to have a word. It did not go well. But I've got his reg number, and my friend is a police officer. Plus his vehicle was declared SORN, with an insurance check being done tomorrow. He proceeded to try and follow us around town, but were able to lose him. Anti-social driving report filed as well as reported a SORN vehicle online. This could get interesting
Brilliant now who says there’s no such thing as karma

GuyBoden

Guru
I go on cycle rides 2-3 times a week and find that the majority of drivers are reasonably courteous when passing me on my bicycle, it's only a very, very small minority that are discourteous. Also, I think things have steadily improved over the years too.

There has been a large outbreak of teenagers cycling with no hands recently, I'm putting this down to a symptom of lock down boredom/attention seeking.

Top Bottom