Drivers have zero patience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I don’t think anyone has any patience if I’m honest. Horse riders, drivers, cyclists, people in shops. I took a quick trip to lidl just now to see two people arguing about who was next in line (it was pretty obvious and then got angry) then had to slam on the anchors going through a green light on the way home to avoid a cyclist that had jumped the red only to be told “f*ck off and drive on d1ckhead”. It’s all getting a bit mad max out there, we all need to calm down, look after each other and stay safe. There is enough out there to get us without getting into tribes based on how many wheels or legs we are travelling on!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Reading some of the comments on here, about how people claim to drive, and, why they drive metal monsters, and, these people are presumably cyclists, small wonder our roads are unsafe ;)

Drago

Legendary Member
I don’t think anyone has any patience if I’m honest. Horse riders, drivers, cyclists, people in shops. I took a quick trip to lidl just now to see two people arguing about who was next in line (it was pretty obvious and then got angry) then had to slam on the anchors going through a green light on the way home to avoid a cyclist that had jumped the red only to be told “f*ck off and drive on d1ckhead”. It’s all getting a bit mad max out there, we all need to calm down, look after each other and stay safe. There is enough out there to get us without getting into tribes based on how many wheels or legs we are travelling on!
Come on, hurry up and type quicker, I've not got time to read this!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Quite. Particularly when most of us (on this forum) probably belong to at least two "tribes" (Cyclist, Pedestrian), if not three (Driver).

In any conversation, or, on any forum, I have yet to see a post saying "I am an inconsiderate driver/Pedestrian/cyclist/dog walker*" delete as appropriate. Strange that, considering there are so many of them around ?

I was nearly knocked off my bike by a motorist overtaking me as I started to turn right.

Fortunately, the driver was alert enough to stop. I started to remonstrate with him about overtaking at a junction, but he pointed out that it was a long, straight road and I hadn’t indicated my intention to turn right.

Just grateful that he was paying attention. Lesson learned. I now indicate, even if there’s no other traffic.

Anyone can be an peanut, not just drivers.

MntnMan62

Über Member

There wouldn't be any arguments in the world if we all spoke like this guy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySyBMTo-1sc

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn’t type peanut. What the fark is wrong with the spell check?
Nothing, it’s working perfectly

RichardB

Slightly retro
No, you now do what 99.9% of road users do - you indicate as a substitute for proper observation.
I've had this argument so many times.

Them: You didn't indicate back there.
Me: No need.
Them: What do you mean?
Me: No-one there to benefit from a signal.
Them: How do you know that?
Me: I looked.
Them: Yes, but what if there was somebody?
Me: There wasn't.
Them: Yeah, but you should indicate anyway.
Me: Why?
Them: Because then if you haven't seen someone, at least they see your indicator.
Me: But I have looked. If someone's there, I'll indicate.
Them: It should be a habit. Every time you turn, you indicate, no matter what.
Them: Because it's safer. It should be automatic.
Me: No it's not. It's a brainless routine which replaces thinking.
Them: But it's safer. How can you not want to be safer?
Me: *loses will to live*

See also: "I indicated to turn, so the accident can't have been my fault" and "I indicated to change lane, so you should have given way to me."

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Reading some of the comments on here, about how people claim to drive, and, why they drive metal monsters, and, these people are presumably cyclists, small wonder our roads are unsafe ;)

I’m not the greatest driver, never claimed to be, but I’m considerate of other road users.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've had this argument so many times.

Them: You didn't indicate back there.
Me: No need.
Them: What do you mean?
Me: No-one there to benefit from a signal.
Them: How do you know that?
Me: I looked.
Them: Yes, but what if there was somebody?
Me: There wasn't.
Them: Yeah, but you should indicate anyway.
Them: Because then if you haven't seen someone, at least they see your indicator.
Me: But I have looked. If someone's there, I'll indicate.
Them: It should be a habit. Every time you turn, you indicate, no matter what.
Them: Because it's safer. It should be automatic.
Me: No it's not. It's a brainless routine which replaces thinking.
Them: But it's safer. How can you not want to be safer?
Me: *loses will to live*

See also: "I indicated to turn, so the accident can't have been my fault" and "I indicated to change lane, so you should have given way to me."
You've just proven the point. You, like virtually everyone else, will indicate instead of looking. That is far more dangerous.

The matter has been researched and tested several times, the earliest being as far back as the 1930s - its human nature, and it's what you will inevitably end up doing unless trained and drilled to do otherwise.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Issue being some people seem to think indication means it’s others responsibility to get out their way.

How many times have people witnessed an incident to hear the words but I was indicating!

Yes but did you look?

Top Bottom