Drivers have zero patience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
People soon forget mirror signal manoeuvre it becomes manoeuvre might look might signal
This i remember well, about 10 years ago now, i was overtaken on a single carriage part of the A51 by a female who i clocked doing her makeup in the sun visor mirror at god knows what speed, i was doing around 60 and her BMW wooshed passed i'd say at 80 or so and i could see her. I suppose to be fair it could have been a bloke but either way they were doing makeup. I just don't remember that part on my lessons...

I must have had a terrible instructor, who was incidentally a woman instructor called Pat...

Baldy

Über Member
I was passed by a car on the A50 Darby bypass. The driver had her phone in one hand, the other was turning the pages of a folder which was on the passenger seat. She was obviously looking for something or other in the folder. I could see as I was high up in the truck cab. Her car was weaving from side to side across the dual carriageway. She looked rather flustered when I blow my horn at her.

DRM

Guru
I was passed by a car on the A50 Darby bypass. The driver had her phone in one hand, the other was turning the pages of a folder which was on the passenger seat. She was obviously looking for something or other in the folder. I could see as I was high up in the truck cab. Her car was weaving from side to side across the dual carriageway. She looked rather flustered when I blow my horn at her.
Obviously at work, too stupid to ignore the phone and pull up where it’s safe and call whoever’s rung back, the majority of people when told I’m driving would ring off and call back later or wait for a return call

MntnMan62

Über Member
In situations like this, it helps to hate people. If you hate people, then you don't trust anyone. And that means you will look before doing something and then signal if warranted. In that order.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Obviously at work, too stupid to ignore the phone and pull up where it’s safe and call whoever’s rung back, the majority of people when told I’m driving would ring off and call back later or wait for a return call
It’s our company policy to apologise and callback later if we find someone behind the wheel, regardless of whether they’re hands free.

Slick

Guru
It’s our company policy to apologise and callback later if we find someone behind the wheel, regardless of whether they’re hands free.
The newer work phones won't allow calls through to the handset if it senses that you are moving. Bit of a pain in the ass when you are on a train but fair enough I suppose.

The newer work phones won't allow calls through to the handset if it senses that you are moving. Bit of a pain in the ass when you are on a train but fair enough I suppose.
that sounds bloody great to me :notworthy:

Yours etc,
Quiet Coach Owners Club

Drago

Legendary Member
People soon forget mirror signal manoeuvre it becomes manoeuvre might look might signal
Signal, manoeuvre, dont look properly if at all is the norm.

Manoeuvre, signal, don't look is also quite popular.

Time and time again it's been proven that signalling quickly becomes a psychological substitute for looking - people think they're being careful and conscientious, when the reality couldn't be further from the truth - they're driving in an essentially mindless state. Another symptom of the illness that makes the average untrained Joe think they're a far better driver than they are.

Only signalling when necessary promotes good observation. I mean, next time youre in "left turn only" lane look at the idiots Indictating left - why? Where else can they go in a left turn only lane? Who is going to benefit? What were they thinking? Indeed, were they thinking...? A complete lack of observation and thought, full on autopilot syndrome.

What also appears to have been missed is that there is also a drill for scenarios of doubt or ambiguity. Again, a case of an untrained Joe thinking they know better than one who has been trained - there are huge gaps in their knowledge, and their ignorance (in the nicest sense of the word, not intended to be derogatory) leads them to believe they know better. They simply do not, and 85 years of research, application, feedback and refinement trumps and untrained observer any day - my life depends on it when behind the wheel, so I'll go with the science and experience and observation of those who've gone before me rather than the untrained opinion.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I mean, next time youre in "left turn only" lane look at the idiots Indictating left - why? Where else can they go in a left turn only lane? Who is going to benefit? What were they thinking? Indeed, were they thinking...? A complete lack of observation and thought, full on autopilot syndrome.

I witnessed a nice one last week, person in the left turn lane turned right and the guy in the turn right lane turned left... they were screaming at each other so both fine. made me roll me eyes a little.

This morning same women in the Mini clubman hurled abuse at me on a crossroads I was going straight over, she wanted to turn right onto my lane and cut the corner, but had to swerve to avoid me, but it was my fault according to her ravings. haha

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Obviously the quiet coache owners club can't dictate how we live our lives in the real world, especially as they can just be turned off. :okay:
Sometimes I enjoy the peace of the quiet coach, but then I also miss eavesdropping on occasional fantastic conversations.

Slick

Guru
Sometimes I enjoy the peace of the quiet coach, but then I also miss eavesdropping on occasional fantastic conversations.
Exactly, it's a choice. We have all heard the bum who wants everyone to hear them but unfortunately not everyone can pause their working day just because they are travelling.

Top Bottom