Drivers on the mobile phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cannondale boy

Über Member
"May I ask for an address to which we can send to you a token of our gratitude for taking the time to make us aware of this situation?"

What the hell...seems like this company are contraticting themselves! Sure we'll help you by not investigating this incident any further?...that is crazy! If they want your address, give them a false address and waste there time and money, because thats what they are doing is wasting time.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
cannondale boy said:
"May I ask for an address to which we can send to you a token of our gratitude for taking the time to make us aware of this situation?"

What the hell...seems like this company are contraticting themselves! Sure we'll help you by not investigating this incident any further?...that is crazy! If they want your address, give them a false address and waste there time and money, because thats what they are doing is wasting time.

Whoops, sorry, my typo. I meant they were going to investigate, the email seemed convincing to me.

02GF74

Über Member
raises my hackles too.

I wonder if the police will investigate reports? surely an eye witness (me) giving driver description, registration, date and time can be easily traced to the driver and his phone number - calls are logged so the time and approximate place can be determined from the base station .... but probably is too mcuh trouble for them. :tongue:

As for smashing cars, it is very tempting but you never know if the car is taking the same daoily route so next time they see you, they drive you off into the road - not worth the risk of serious injury .... :biggrin:

stephenb said:
just a word of caution from an old timer? gesticulating at drivers, slapping cars, pointing cameras, even if perfectly justified, is not without hazard. I did something very similar to sjb a couple of weeks ago. The car driver threw a U turn in front of fast on-coming traffic, mounted the kerb and out got 2 very large thugs of Eastern European appearance. I just managed to leg it across the road and into a park - a bit of a chase followed with them hurling things, and I have no doubt that they would have done real violence had they caught upxx(. There are some serious nutters out there so don't put yourself in danger, it ain't worth it.

Touching peoples cars really really really pisses them off.
A few months back I had a 4x4 overtake on a bend, slow moving traffic, no need for them to do so as they gained nothing, and they were so close (within a inch or two of my bars) - they did one of those overtakes where they just get parallel with you and carry on at the same speed you’re doing, just edging closer and closer, so I gave the roof a couple bangs with my palm, no damage, just a thud. Car immediately slams on breaks and pulls in to me – so I stop and lean on the car.
Turned out to be a really aggressive and very peed off woman – she lowered the passenger window and let forth a torrent of abuse, effing and blinding about touching her car – so I banged the roof again (not causing any damage I stress) and said, calmly, something like “if you’re close enough to allow me to do this when you overtake then your not giving me enough space etc” - this seemed to wind her up even further. I thought to myself, I’m on a winner here, so, every time she swore and threatened me about touching her car I did it again and said something like “is that what you don’t want me to do?” or “Your getting that wound up because I did this?” etc – this went on for what seemed like ages – she was getting absolutely hysterical and I was trying not to laugh – in the end she threatened to call the police – I sad “What for? Doing this?” and banged on the roof again – she got out her mobile and dialled – we were close to a police station and I offered to go in and get an officer as it would be quicker… however, when the police answered her mobile phone it turned out she new the sergeant or dci she wanted by name (guess he was husband or friend) and I thought, this is going to be really fair, so I did the gentlemanly thing, banged on the roof again, said goodbye and left her for dust..

But yes – if you really want to antagonise a motorist, touch their cars, just make sure you have an escape route

Terminator said:
No way would they get my address.Sounds a bit like my muppet.

Just put "Detective Sargent" before your name and give the address of the local police station - that'll make them think

Arch

Married to Night Train
TwickenhamCyclist said:
Just put "Detective Sargent" before your name and give the address of the local police station - that'll make them think

Nice one. ;)

I'd certainly think about giving them a work address, if any, rather than home. But would be a bit wary of doing either. I wonder if they are expecting blackmail and trying to forestall it, inwhich case a simepl "no thankyou, I am just doing my civic duty" might surprise them a bit and make them think a bit more about the seriousness..

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, I don't want anything from the companies at all. I really am just doing my civic duty for other people these drivers might crash into, else I wouldn't bother for just myself.

domd1979

Veteran
Went out to B&Q earlier with my brother. Queueing to get out of the car park we spot an idiot in a Mercedes 4x4 driving into the car park on his mobile. My brother points and says get off your phone. Bloke in Merc stops and says "are you telling me I can't drive properly?". We said not on that you can't, to which he says "yeah, and I'm only doing 5mph round the car park so it doesn't matter" (he was on his phone when he turned off the main road). :evil::biggrin:!:biggrin::angry:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Just saw the Mythbusters test of mobile phone usage being as bad as drink driving. Ooooh, the mobile phone test failed by far more than the drunken driving one.

Arch

Married to Night Train
domd1979 said:
Went out to B&Q earlier with my brother. Queueing to get out of the car park we spot an idiot in a Mercedes 4x4 driving into the car park on his mobile. My brother points and says get off your phone. Bloke in Merc stops and says "are you telling me I can't drive properly?". We said not on that you can't, to which he says "yeah, and I'm only doing 5mph round the car park so it doesn't matter" (he was on his phone when he turned off the main road). :biggrin::girl:!:smile::girl:!

The best answer to that, although it requires a bit of prep, would be to own a beat up old car with lots of dents already, and then drive along the side the merc at 'only' 5mph, making sure there was contact between metal and metal all the way, just to demonstrate that even 5mph, you can cause damage. Of course it starts to get a bit heavy on you insurance...:evil:

Top Bottom