Driving advice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm a cyclist and driver, this question is aimed at others who do both.

I have a particular driving / cycling question that's come up after driving behind a roadie. I hung back while the cyclist sped along at about 18mph round bends and hills on a narrow country road. I struggle to safely overtake for possibly 5 miles without the risk of meeting an oncoming car round a bend or close passing because its a narrow road. I simply sit back a couple of car lengths or more. I even keep the engine low and quiet revving until I can overtake with at least 1 to 1,5m gap.

This isn't the issue. The issue is I'm conscious the cyclist is nervously looking back and ime in such a situation on a bike I too feel conscious I'm holding a driver up, or if not that, I'm conscious it's taking time for us to reach a overtaking opportunity.

Here's the question...

What's best in such situations? Both as a driver and cyclist?

I think I'm doing things right both cycling and driving in such places. I just think we need to know that even when doing things right there's a kind of discomfort there. How to reduce that?

I know the cyclist waving through a driver is wrong. If I can't see a safe way through I won't overtake on someone else's say so, quite rightly too. I also know sitting back a few lengths doesn't quite help putting the cyclist at ease. I also know as a cyclist pulling in and stopping to n let the driver pass by only means you'll be back in that situation with the next car along.

I can only think that the way I drive is right but similarly the cyclist needs to carry on, ignoring their discomfort, and leave it to me to decide when I can safely pass in the car. Not ideal because knowing a car is behind you even safely back isn't great for a nice country lane ride.

Over to you for your views on this.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If I was the cyclist and knew the road was narrow for a good while, I'd pull over and wave you on, but there's no need to do that. I was just never in much of a rush. As a car driver I'd just keep it in 2nd gear and idle along peacefully until safe to overtake. The only "rules" that appy are those that the driver must wait until safe to pass

Alex321

Veteran
As a cyclist in that situation, I will usually pull over when an opportunity (such as a gateway) presents. The narrow roads I ride, it might be several miles more before another car comes up behind me, so I don't really consider the "only means you'll be back in that situation with the next car along."

I have had situations where the road has widened enough to give the car plenty of room, but they have still sat behind me, and that does make me a bit uncomfortable - and a bit irritated.

As a driver, yes, you sit behind, without revving the engine, until a safe overtaking opportunity appears.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Agree with everything @Alex321 says. It does make you uncomfortable when a car it coming up behind you as you never know for sure how soon they are going to lose patience and try an overtake that's not really on, so I'll try and pull over where I can, preferably enough to just have to slow down enough without stopping if it's a farm entrance or something big enough. The best advice I could give either way would be, what would you be feeling if you were the other person?

Jody

Stubborn git
You couldn't overtake anywhere for nearly 20 minutes?

If I'm on the bike I'd carry on as is.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd pull over where I could - you always get a friendly wave or hoot - cyclist probably knows the road best. They may not have space to pull over.

Best to have a nervous driver out of the way rather than behind you !

I pull over fairly often when HGV's are stuck behind me, takes no time to hop on the pavement, let them pass and back on. Always get a 'thank you hoot'.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I’d wave the driver through if an opportunity presented itself and I can see far enough ahead to be sure nothing is oncoming. Being further ahead you can see parts of the road the driver can’t. The other opportunities are where the road widens briefly and I’ll slow but not stop and wave them past.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I'd pull over somewhere convenient if I was the cyclist.

If I was driving I would give the cyclist space. When riding a bike you have no way of telling what state of mind the following driver is in and it does make me uncomfortable if a vehicle is behind me for very long if I'm on my bike, which probably is true for most cyclists. It makes me uncomfortable too that while driving I might be having that effect on a cyclist. Sooner or later the road will be clear and my vehicle will get past.

Maybe I'm more laid back than most. Then again, I'm more likely to be on my motor bike than in the car for daily use, , and nothing much holds me up. It's not that i'm particularly fast, it's the narrowness that lets you flow easily past other road users and obstructions that would frustrate a car driver.

Although a car is useful for many things, for me there's more smiles per mile on two wheels, particularly on a recumbent.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Gotta be patient sometimes. I use my mirror on the bike a lot and can often ascertain whether the driver behind is likely to make a dangerous passing manoeuvre. Im courteous but also keen on self preservation so sometimes pullover or even hop onto the pavement. Had an arctic bearing down on me a while ago and thought i dont want that coming past just a foot away so when there was a 'ramp' i pedalled along the pavement for a while- the driver gave me an appreciative toot on the horn. Have to work out each situation as they arise but i wouldnt be without a mirror :okay:

presta

Guru
Trailing a car up the road for 5 miles is taking the p!ss, I'd be feeling irresistible pressure to pull over after 500 yards. There is a road here which is a bit different though, and extremely unpleasant to cycle, with few alternatives. It's a main A-road with room for cars to pass, but not trucks, and it's also very busy, so you quickly accumulate a queue of a mile or more. Pulling off is all very well, but it takes minutes for the queue to disperse, and then when you put the bike back on the road, the traffic is at a standstill again before you've even had time to sit back on it.

I never look over my shoulder at following cars as they always take it as an invitation to overtake, no matter how patient they've been and how inappropriate the opportunity.

vickster

Legendary Member
I actually find looking over my shoulder a lot when coming up to parked cars or considering a manoeuvre is more likely to stop drivers doing anything ill considered (albeit this is in built up areas)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As a driver I’d avoid lanes that my car takes up most of the width of, unless absolutely necessary.
I have just ridden along a lot of very narrow Devon lanes. If drivers living in the villages that I passed through wanted to avoid those lanes, they could end up driving 25 km instead of 5!

Nearly everyone seems to know the score and acts accordingly. I pulled over several times to let traffic past and several drivers stopped for me.

I spotted the reversing lights come on in a van way ahead of me so I quickly pulled into a driveway and suggested that the driver behind follow me, which he did. The van reversed all the way back to us with a minibus following. Once the van had also pulled in to the drive, the bus went past. I ended up at the front of the queue, but let the van and car go first. Both drivers smiled and thanked me.

Give and take from everyone, that's what is needed!

Last edited:
Top Bottom