Driving advice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
30 - 40 metres is ridiculously far back at speeds under 20mph - which the cyclist almost certainly will be, unless on a downhill stretch. Even at motorway speeds, the recommended gap of 2 seconds isn't quite that far.

At 70 mph, 2 seconds you’d cover just over 62m. Plus you need to allow for reaction time. That’s why the recommended distance to leave is 96 metres.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A few car lengths. Tbh the distance was a lot further back than I'm used to from cars. I don't think he was concerned about me being behind him

How did you determine he wasn’t concerned or are you just guessing?

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
It’s going to be near enough 17 minutes at 18 mph, so not far off 20 mins. At least 17 mins you didn’t feel you could overtake.
Sorry but I wasn't exactly measuring the distance as it was not important. Certainly not more important than concentrating on driving safely and besides my attention was more on the cyclist. I was worrying about how he was feeling about a van behind him for what felt like a long time.

If you need an exact distance it is about 3.71 to 4,45km according to cyclestreets app, I can't work out where exactly I caught him. I know I was already following by the start of the lower distance start point. Cyclestreets has it at 12 to 14 minutes riding. He was actually going a lot quicker than the average speed this app uses. He was a fast rider IMHO despite looking high 50s or older when I passed. A fast veteran for sure.

There were passing points but not for me in a van on those roads. Too many nutters in big SUVs for my liking. Besides I don't overtake unless I'm happy with the gap between cyclist and my can plus a long enough distance to overtake. In this case the only passing points I would have overtaken a cyclist he was going like the clappers on such a downhill section. Other passing points include the only flat straight but he was doing 25mph there. I'll leave you to work out safe overtaking distance I'd need for a pass there.

Whilst the roads don't look like Devon roads but you're looking at similar levels of passing points as small, local Devon roads.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
As a cyclist i would pull over and let the car by, did it today, stopped three times on one stretch of road for cars as I knew they could safely pass me for at least a mile.

As a car driver I'd just stay behind them and wait, if the cyclist doesn't pull over, then I'm going to be patient.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
At 70 mph, 2 seconds you’d cover just over 62m. Plus you need to allow for reaction time. That’s why the recommended distance to leave is 96 metres.
Where do you live? I just want to make sure you aren't anywhere near me. 70mph round "bends and hills on a narrow country road" is ridiculous speeds. If you think that's likely then I don't want to be near you as a driver! ^_^

Meanwhile in the real world I'll stick to 30-40mph top speeds and a lot less through the narrow or twisty bits. There's a few sections you have to drop right down in speed. One spot is at a foot of a hill with a zigzag and a narrowing which feels like you'll clip a car the other way if you take it faster.

Anyway, if you don't believe that it was that far/ long, that I had a good road position behind the cyclist and the cyclist seemed to have no issue with my driving then you can. I know my driving war cautious and considerate. I know the distance, more or less, from map measurement. I know I got a wave from the cyclist as I passed and took it as appreciative gesture. I know I didn't have an opportunity to overtake before I did because I didn't overtake earlier. I also know I was uncomfortable following a cyclist that far because I don't like being in front and slowing cars behind me when I'm cycling.

I also know this thread was more about finding views about the etiquette of driver and cyclist in areas where safe overtakes are not possible. That's etiquette of both road users.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
As a cyclist i would pull over and let the car by, did it today, stopped three times on one stretch of road for cars as I knew they could safely pass me for at least a mile.

As a car driver I'd just stay behind them and wait, if the cyclist doesn't pull over, then I'm going to be patient.
We do similar especially with junior in between us. On some roads that means stopping in car passing points as there are no entrances or gates only walls and hedges.

Incidentally round here there's even hedges on walls. They're not quite the same as the ones in Devon but similarity is there all the same.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Where do you live? I just want to make sure you aren't anywhere near me. 70mph round "bends and hills on a narrow country road" is ridiculous speeds. If you think that's likely then I don't want to be near you as a driver! ^_^

Read the post I was responding to, nowhere did I suggest driving at 70 mph through the lane. If you see my other post I said you shouldn’t be going above 30 mph in the lane you describe.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you need an exact distance it is about 3.71 to 4,45km according to cyclestreets app,

In which case we are really talking about your trip taking no more than 5 minutes longer than if no one was in front of you.

As a cyclist, I would want to pull over and let the car past as soon as possible. The car driver may be hanging back, but at some point he/she may lose patience and try to push past where there isn't safe room....

As a car driver, I would have to drop back several car lengths, and drive slowly and quietly. And hope that the cyclist will pull in for me, just as I would if it were me on the bike.....

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
In which case we are really talking about your trip taking no more than 5 minutes longer than if no one was in front of you.
If you read my posts I'm not complaining about being behind a cyclist at any point. Time has no relevance other than if you think it hasa role in good manners of driver or cyclist.

I was trying to discuss the etiquette or good behaviour of drivers and cyclists in such a situation beyond the legal requirements.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
As a cyclist, I would want to pull over and let the car past as soon as possible. The car driver may be hanging back, but at some point he/she may lose patience and try to push past where there isn't safe room....

As a car driver, I would have to drop back several car lengths, and drive slowly and quietly. And hope that the cyclist will pull in for me, just as I would if it were me on the bike.....
That's what I did. The cyclist did not stop but moved over into what is effectively a lay by on a bend to let me past. He could have stopped earlier but that didn't bother me I was going to get home sooner or later. No point getting stressed by it.

classic33

Leg End Member
I ride single track roads, aware that at certain times of the year tractor use will be higher than at other times. When I feel it's safe* to let them past I'll let them. They're working, me I'm using my primary means of transport. Be it for fun or because I need to.

On the bike it's a case of looking a lot further ahead than on a wider road, and using your ears more. You can anticipate when an overtaking opportunity can arise, and by the simple action of making eye contact with the drivers can let them know you know they're there, and you're not holding them up on purpose. Often letting them past before it becomes an issue, or stopping for a few seconds because you know they're headed your way(eyes or ears), has the added benefit of slowing traffic coming the other way. Fewer would argue with a tractor than a cyclist, especially if there's anything mounted on the front of the tractor.

*Safe for me and them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When driving on our single track roads you are expected to pull over into a passing place to let faster vehicles get past. There is no reason for cyclists not to behave the same way and give way to faster traffic at the first safe place to do so.
Touring cyclists very often are detested because they do not obey common sense rules. Anyone going for a ferry has to keep to the ferry timetable so being unreasonably delayed is irritating to say the least.

Top Bottom