Driving lessons these days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's the score?

My eldest, 18, is taking some and I chose a local independent instructor. He was a bit coy about how long it would take and I'm given to understand that 30 or 40 lessons are the norm these days, whereas it took me 22 lessons, x years ago but there's more to the test these days, I'm told.

Is this all correct? 5 lessons in and he still doesn't drive from the house but gets taken somewhere and starts from there. Not got on to anything other than driving a quiet course. It all seems a bit slow and cautious to me.

pplpilot

Guru
Taking you for a 'ride' i reckon. My niece passed in 18 this year... not sure if the criteria has changed much since I did mine, I had 8 and passed. I finished my pilots licence in 43, he wants upto 40 for driving! naaaa, doesn't stack up.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I started to learn with an independent instructor, supposedly on the 'fast track' course but he said that it wasn't suitable for me, even before I got into the car. After 3 weeks of sitting in the passenger seat (mostly) with theory and only being allowed to drive in an empty industrial estate to get clutch control I went with BSM, had 20 lessons, passed first time. With BSM, we had a 15 minute chat in the car (not paid for lesson time but a bit of a 'where are you with your driving' thing) and then straight in the drivers seat and away. I lived in a quiet-ish area and did more driving in that first lesson with BSM than I had done with the useless independent chap.
This was in 2000, so not a gazillion years ago, like Hubster - he passed way back in the early 80's.

midlife

Guru
Have you got a car he can drive around in with L plates. Then they can practice all they like with the basics before the expensive lessons. I think our eldest had about 15 lessons. Failed his theory though........

Shaun

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Taking you for a 'ride' i reckon. My niece passed in 18 this year... not sure if the criteria has changed much since I did mine, I had 8 and passed. I finished my pilots licence in 43, he wants upto 40 for driving! naaaa, doesn't stack up.
Who was that with?

I didn't get that figure from him but from doing some research. I also looked at pass rates and some of the bigger driving schools have fairly appalling pass rates.

screenman

Legendary Member
40 seems about the average now, or 20 hours as most lessons I think are 30 minutes.

3 lessons fo me then pass in 1973, I was 17 and had been able to drive for 4 years at that time. My job also allowed me to drive huge lorries and in tight area's so I am sure this helped.

pplpilot

Guru
Who was that with?

I didn't get that figure from him but from doing some research. I also looked at pass rates and some of the bigger driving schools have fairly appalling pass rates.

No idea, I do know it was a one man outfit that lives in her village.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Blimey - lesson and insurance costs must keep so many young people off the road. I must admit, when I passed my test (2 weeks after 17th Birthday) I did not know how to drive properly. After 40 lessons these youngsters must be experts.

My daughter passed first time last Friday and I think she was on about 28 lessons. I would say she was ready at about 25 but there is a backlog at test centre and she also was delayed by a further week as the testers went on strike!
But that is 25 x 1 hour lessons plus 25x 1 hour at least per week with me or wifey taking her round. So she has had at least 60 hours behind the wheel.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Blimey - lesson and insurance costs must keep so many young people off the road. I must admit, when I passed my test (2 weeks after 17th Birthday) I did not know how to drive properly. After 40 lessons these youngsters must be experts.
40 hours won't make you an expert though, it's just a start.

I just wanted some opinions. I don't currently have a car he can learn in, just the family wagon so it's lessons only. I spoke to a few instructors to gain an impression which is all you can do. I did trend towards someone local, older and who said the right things on my mental checklist. Ultimately it'll take him as long as it takes him but I just wanted some comparators.

screenman

Legendary Member

We would hope so.

Top Bottom