Driving lessons these days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If someone asks me how long it will take to do a job, I would never give the shortest time frame, as it doesn't allow any wiggle room. He has no idea how good or bad your son is, and has likely instructed people in the past who needed 4 lessons to put their seat belt on.

4 lessons and I passed my test first go...

Really? That's quite impressive. How did you get so good so quickly? It took me about 4 lessons just to get the bite right and pull away without juddering!

Our local instructors do blocks of 10 lessons and I was hoping to only have to fork out for 1 block of them for my eldest. It's going to cost a fortune isn't it!

RedRider

Pulling through
I know someone who took the test after ten lessons recently and passed. I think it was one of the big driving schools but don't know which I'm afraid.
I passed a long time ago and this is a bit of topic, sorry but great instructor... Pacemaker School of Motoring which was Freddy (, the former drummer in the band and Gerry's brother). Anecdotes about playing the Harlem Apollo etc etc etc. Cool bloke and v entertaining.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Cubester and Cubette have now got their full licences. Their granny gave them a car between them as she was giving up driving, so they had a w plate Fiesta to practise in. Cubester passed first time after 32 hours of instruction, and Cubette had an unlucky first test after a similar number of hours clocked up, but aced it second time round. Needless to say they were both keen to win the competition between them. Their instructor was a local independent, and was very good, even calling in to see us to give quality feedback and suggestions for practising.

Cubette has now bought Cubester out of his half of the Fiesta, and he's treated himself to an X reg Jimny. Both work a shift or two a week to pay for fuel and tax, but the insurance has come out of the family savings this first year. Next year they will be at Uni, and have been told they must make their own plans as to whether they actually need to drive. I've also agreed to help with any garage bills.

Both now have black box insurance and are getting good feedback in terms of speed and driving quality. Cubester is particularly enquiring, and is openly scornful of his mates and others at college who have been bought new Corsas and wrapped them round trees on Daddy's insurance. (Three so far, and one convicted of drink-driving)

Cubist

Still wavin'
It just seemed to come naturally. Bizarrely though, I find it extremely difficult to get the hand/foot co-ordination right on a motorbike and have basically given up trying to learn...
Other way round with me. I passed bike test at 18, and didn't bother with a car licence until I was 23. Passed first time after six lessons and hours of driving tractors during Uni holidays

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I had a lesson on the Friday, half a lesson on the Saturday morning and passed my test Saturday lunchtime. The driving instructor was astonished (BSM)

pawl

Legendary Member
What's the score?

My eldest, 18, is taking some and I chose a local independent instructor. He was a bit coy about how long it would take and I'm given to understand that 30 or 40 lessons are the norm these days, whereas it took me 22 lessons, x years ago but there's more to the test these days, I'm told.

Is this all correct? 5 lessons in and he still doesn't drive from the house but gets taken somewhere and starts from there. Not got on to anything other than driving a quiet course. It all seems a bit slow and cautious to me.

I passed after eight lessons.prior to getting my full licence I had ridden motor bikes and driven a Bond three wheeler mini car, (remember them) .
Mind back when I passed you had to give hand signals and give horse and carts right of way.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
While we are on the subject, why to some UK new drivers use P-Plates. I see it's actually mentioned here https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive/using-l-and-p-plates but I don't understand why you would want to use them if they aren't required.

I think it's in the hope that other drivers might give you a bit more consideration than usual, or at least be prepared for you to do something that a more experienced driver wouldn't.

I know I do, or at least try to.

hedder2212

GF passed after having eight lessons.
Ive done a intensive course and have JUST clocked 12 hours of driving including a mock practical test (passed that) real thing soon.

With some people it can be as little as 5 lessons because theyre a natural but with others it can take 20+ lessons....
A good driving instructor worth their salt should be able to get anyone through at 25 lessons at the most though.

screenman

Legendary Member
GF passed after having eight lessons.
Ive done a intensive course and have JUST clocked 12 hours of driving including a mock practical test (passed that) real thing soon

With some people it can be as little as 5 lessons because theyre a natural but with others it can take 20+ lessons....
A good driving instructor worth their salt should be able to get anyone through at 25 lessons at the most though.

I would say that some people are not able to get it no matter who is teaching them. I would keep quiet until you have passed after all 12 hours is 24 lessons.

Brandane

Legendary Member
As an ex instructor, I beg to differ! Some people just don't seem to get it very easily, especially those who try to learn later in life.
Males are generally harder to teach than females, because the males think they know it all before they get in a car.
As a ball park figure for a teenager, I would say 25/30 lessons from start to finish, maybe less if they are getting practice elsewhere between lessons - although that CAN be counter productive. @gavroche is probably the best person to ask on here, he has more recent experience as an instructor.

robjh

Legendary Member
I don't know how many lessons I had but I would guess about 8 or 10, but I then practised for quite some time with my dad sitting beside me, and then had just one or two refresher lessons before the test. I knew I was getting to the standard when my dad dozed off in the passenger seat and I drove him home.

Top Bottom