Driving lessons these days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had two lessons and passed three driving tests first time (New York state, California, Hereford). I did spend a lot of time as a teenager driving around in Africa and the Arabian desert, so I had a head start. But 40 lessons!? 40!?

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe it would be a good idea to make 50 lessons the minimum and compulsory retesting after every offence.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
With teaching any subject it's not ideal to adopt a 'one size fits all' approach. Some people learn quicker than others. We all know someone who passed first time after a few lessons; and someone who hasn't got a hope in hell, no matter how long they try. 'Accidents' on the road have many different causes.
No matter how difficult you make it to pass the test, you will never change the 'attitude' of some drivers. You might make them a bit more technically competent, or more aware of their responsibilities behind the wheel; but how do you remove the influences of teenage hormones, peer pressure, bravado, natural aggression, sheer stupidity, drink & drugs etc, etc ?
There already is compulsory retesting after certain offences. Whether the net needs to be widened is another debate entirely. Compulsory retesting after getting a parking ticket, anyone?

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Who was that with?

I didn't get that figure from him but from doing some research. I also looked at pass rates and some of the bigger driving schools have fairly appalling pass rates.

my neighbour who works part time for me is an independant with a superb pass rate.nearly all his pass first time.

he started with a national school, but was appaled at the "you dont want em passing first time" as you need to earn..its a quick fit euro type thing..fleece with a smile.

I passed all my tests first time with a handfull of lessons..but i dont find cars or bikes intimidating..some people are terrible..my sister took 7 attempts and is still scared to death of traffic.

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 4059383, member: 45"]So speed limits are black and white [/QUOTE]
Most of them (apart from NSL) are black and white with a red border, though some are indicated by street lighting

Top Bottom