Driving lessons these days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ten lessons here at £1.75 each.

For the first nine I learned almost nothing. For the tenth my regular instructor was off sick and I had the chief instructor of Gosforth School of Motoring. I learned more in one hour with him than in the nine hours with the other bloke. So the moral of the story is: quality not quantity.

Reactions: mjr

hedder2212

I would say that some people are not able to get it no matter who is teaching them. I would keep quiet until you have passed after all 12 hours is 24 lessons.
Passed this afternoon. 1 minor.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
[QUOTE 4058553, member: 45"]No it's not. "Undue hesitation" suggests more about manoeuvres than speed, and "appropriate speed" makes no indication of closeness to the limit that's expected, which is what we're discussing.[/QUOTE]
No it's not.
'Undue hesitancy' suggests ....err.....undue hesitancy ie. not proceeding when it's safe to do so at junctions and when in other traffic situations.
Hesitancy during manoeuvres is marked as an observation fault relating to that particular manoeuvre.
'Appropriate speed' means exactly what it says. If it's safe and traffic conditions allow you to drive at the speed limit - then it's entirely appropriate for you to do so.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
One guy on here passed his test today and he was speeding for 2 minutes 45 in a 40, seems the testers are getting more lenient.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Userpost: 4058722 said:
Errr, that's what I've just said.
Errr, no it's not.
You suggest that hesitancy is a fault marked in relation to manoeuvres.
I was correcting your suggestion.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
One guy on here passed his test today and he was speeding for 2 minutes 45 in a 40, seems the testers are getting more lenient.
The Police generally allow 10% over (to allow for acceptable speedometer error) + 2 mph before doing you for speeding.
That would equate to 46 mph.
The guy today was pushing his luck a bit.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
[QUOTE="screenman, post: 4058748, member: Are test examiners the same though, or can they not see the speedo.[/QUOTE]

As far as I'm aware, an examiner has less legal authority than a police officer in matters of applying traffic law.
Doing 45mph for 2 miles along an empty dual carriageway is not the same as doing the same speed through a 40 limit in a busy built up area.....not when common sense comes into it.
Don't a lot of driving school cars have additional speedos visible to
the instructors?

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Do not have a clue, I just thought that ignoring spped signs would be a fail, not seeing them would not be an excuse either, shows how wrong I can be..

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Do not have a clue, I just thought that ignoring spped signs would be a fail, not seeing them would not be an excuse either, shows how wrong I can be..
I would have thought it would be mainly matters of degree and circumstances. Not many things in driving are absolutely 'black or white'.
Most of a driving test result probably hinges on what happens in the 'grey' areas.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Don't believe what people tell you about their tests, they exaggerate and under stress they remember surprisingly little. I have sat in on a few tests and during the debrief afterwards the candidate's version of what took place and where he/she went often bears no relation to reality.

And people exaggerate over speeds. Forty two becomes forty five, fifty becomes sixty and anything over 85 is automatically rounded up to a ton.

screenman

Legendary Member
Don't believe what people tell you about their tests, they exaggerate and under stress they remember surprisingly little. I have sat in on a few tests and during the debrief afterwards the candidate's version of what took place and where he/she went often bears no relation to reality.

And people exaggerate over speeds. Forty two becomes forty five, fifty becomes sixty and anything over 85 is automatically rounded up to a ton.

Good points.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9

100% agree.:okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Don't believe what people tell you about their tests, they exaggerate and under stress they remember surprisingly little.
And I think you're delusional too, me duck! :laugh:

I was stressed in my first test (I was young) which contributed to my failing mistake (I misjudged the junction and basically drove out into conflicting traffic against priority), but not in the other two, many years later and after taking sooooo many tests for other things.

Top Bottom