Driving lessons these days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
Claims? I can quite believe it because I failed one for not driving at 30 in a 30 when I still (many many years later) think it wasn't safe to do so... and when I passed, I only got a "minor" for exceeding 30. It's no wonder motorists are crashing too often too fast with that bias in the tests.

This really worries me. I accept that (taking it to extremes) doing 30 in a 60 isn't a good idea, but doing say 25 in a 30? Depends on the 30 I guess - long straight road where OLAMs* are doing 35+ is different to a residential cul-de-sac with parked cars everywhere. Still, it concerns me that people are being taught that driving below the speed limit is BAD.

I passed my test in 1990. I have no idea how many lessons I had, but my parents took me out to practice as well.

(*Otherwise Law Abiding Motorist)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This really worries me. I accept that (taking it to extremes) doing 30 in a 60 isn't a good idea, but doing say 25 in a 30? Depends on the 30 I guess - long straight road where OLAMs* are doing 35+ is different to a residential cul-de-sac with parked cars everywhere. Still, it concerns me that people are being taught that driving below the speed limit is BAD.

I passed my test in 1990. I have no idea how many lessons I had, but my parents took me out to practice as well.

(*Otherwise Law Abiding Motorist)

They're not. If in the opinion of the examiner it is perfectly safe to drive at the posted limit you will be penalised for not doing so. Even though it is not a legal requirement to drive to the limit the purpose of the test is to show the examiner that you are capable of doing so if conditions allow.

tyred

Legendary Member
I learned to drive one of these (on private land) when I was about 5
dscf0013%20a.jpg

Bicep busting steering, sliding mesh gearbox and brakes that either don't work or absolutely lock solid at the slightest touch in the best MF tradition.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They're not. If in the opinion of the examiner it is perfectly safe to drive at the posted limit you will be penalised for not doing so. Even though it is not a legal requirement to drive to the limit the purpose of the test is to show the examiner that you are capable of doing so if conditions allow.
Yes, they are. If the examiner is an OLAM (and probability is that many will be), that matter of opinion will result in people failing for "not making progress" or whatever the exact current cipher is for failing anyone who doesn't treat a speed limit sign as a target speed.

I was given a "minor" fault mark for not passing the school at https://goo.gl/maps/3bKTWKrwYQS2 at the full 30mph - and I see that's now a 20 limit! :laugh: - and here's where I failed for not making progress: https://goo.gl/maps/h69wMvwLpXr - I had pulled away from the lights at the crossroads with the ring road at the top of the slope and did not accelerate to the full 40mph because it was blatantly obvious from the speed, positioning and general behaviour of the vehicles ahead that several were about to turn left into Whiffler Road, some without indicating before the last minute. Instead of being on their bumpers and braking, I arrived at the junction just as it cleared and I continued straight on and passed the 30mph limit signs doing 30mph. At that point, I think I'd lived in the city for three years and had cycled around most of it. I knew that road fairly well (it runs between a couple of retail parks and a district shopping centre) and learnt on a bike that if I didn't ease off and watch out, I'd be braking to avoid cars turning in. Vehicles crash at that junction fairly often - 13 reported collisions in the last decade, and I'd bet on a fair number of unreported ones too.

When I passed, my "minor" for speeding was a bit further along on the same road! I misjudged accelerating to 30, went a little over and tried to decelerate without the examiner noticing - didn't get away with that, then!

I'm OK with the idea of treating limits as pseudo-targets on simple roads out in open country and on motorways, but I feel more caution and respect for non-motorised users should be encouraged when driving in urban areas and the practice of the current driving test seems a problem.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I learned to drive one of these (on private land) when I was about 5
dscf0013%20a.jpg

Bicep busting steering, sliding mesh gearbox and brakes that either don't work or absolutely lock solid at the slightest touch in the best MF tradition.
So did I but it wouldn't have had the roll bar ... that came later!

hedder2212

[QUOTE 4056964, member: 45"]I failed a bike test years ago for not getting up to speed. It was a fair criticism.[/QUOTE]
My examiner for my bike test noted that i was very good at making progress...
I got my first speeding ticket on the way back to the training school just after i had passed my mod2 :whistle: in my defense the instructor (who was also my boss at the time) had just said in my ear piece "ok lets have a little fun on the way back, floor it" :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member
My examiner for my bike test noted that i was very good at making progress...
I got my first speeding ticket on the way back to the training school just after i had passed my mod2 :whistle: in my defense the instructor (who was also my boss at the time) had just said in my ear piece "ok lets have a little fun on the way back, floor it" :laugh:

Good job he did not tell you to jump off a very high building.^_^

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 4057184, member: 9609"]Yours must have been a "little grey fergie" probably the most iconic tractor of all time. They later joined up with massey and became red - have absolutely no idea why @tyred is orange ?[/QUOTE]
Dad sold it recently ....

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It is also so that you don't create a tail back by going to slow. If conditions allow, you must do the speed limit in towns as other motorists would expect you to. It is all about keeping the flow of traffic moving.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 4057238, member: 9609"]is that yours in the picture ? is so what is the significance of the little rings hanging on the front.[/QUOTE]
Yes ours with my Dad on it, (well now owned by a man from Drum I believe), and I'd have to ask my Dad if he remembered what the rings were for. My great uncle was a blacksmith so I guess adding something non standard would be fairly easy?

Top Bottom