Driving licence revoked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vbc

Just had a letter from the DVLA informing me that my driving licence has been revoked due to the head injury I suffered in a cycle accident in late May.

They need to be sure that the risk of me suffering an epileptic attack falls to an acceptable level for ordinary driving. I need to be free from an epileptic attack for 12 months from the date of my injury so I now have to return my licence to the DVLA.

Fair enough I suppose, never mind the inconvenience but what p**ses me off is that I will have to apply for a new licence at the end of next May (assuming that I have been free from epileptic attacks) and no doubt have to fork out for it, maybe even take another test.

Anyway, it's good to know that the DVLA have our best interests at heart and I'm sure they're looking into the medical histories of our European colleagues who come over to work and drive here.

Suppose I'll have to get a bike!

gary r

Guru
beware,Your insurance will be really expensive (when you start driving again) as you have to declare having your licence revoked due to a mediacal condition

Tetedelacourse

As you say vbc, it's probably the right thing to do, but if you are made to pay for a replacement one in a year's time, that's way wrong. Good chance to get some winter miles in!

domtyler

Über Member
One more nutter off the roads then! :rolleyes:

Joking of course, sounds harsh vbc but as you say probably for the best, and now you can get some decent winter peddling in!

A mate of mine has a similar "problem". He had a fit two years ago and had to have his licence revoked for twelve months.

As far as I know he didn't have to pay for a new one when the twelve months were up, but I'll check with him if you want VBC?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Best of luck. Someone I know had it revoked for a year and they got it back even though the doctors decided that it was a one off fit due to dehydration and wasn't anything to do with some longer term issue. If it's just a head injury and you haven't had any other issues I'd say it's harsh as you could apply it to anyone.

OP
OP
V

vbc

Thanks Lardyboy, would appreciate that.

Classic33, not had a fit at all but I was comatose for about 3 weeks after surgery.

OP
OP
V

vbc

Thanks for the link also classic33, it does seem that the judgement has been quite harsh but may be based on a report from the hospital.

Brock

I'm tempted to say congratulations, I find not having a car to worry about an almost entirely positive experience. I do accept that most people are more reliant on their car than I ever was though.
Hope it works out ok for you vbc.

Bigtallfatbloke

...did you tell them or did the docs tell them? Maybe it would hav ebeen best to keep stum and not drive until you were better?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
gary r said:
beware,Your insurance will be really expensive (when you start driving again) as you have to declare having your licence revoked due to a mediacal condition

Maybe not. If you don't actually suffer any problems then medically you don't have a condition to declare. The licence has only been revoked as a precaution.

Top Bottom