Driving Whilst Internetting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
As if driving whilst talking on the phone wasn't bad enough, I'm now aware of the phenomenon of driving whilst using the web on a tablet.

I had a close pinch point pass this morning. Annoying, but not bad enough to get het up about. I ended up sat slightly behind the guily party at a set of lights.

I could see that there was a small child 'approx 18 months' in a car seat in the back, but he wasn't strapped in properly, and was leaning forward holding the passenger headrest.

Then, as the lights changed, I drew alongside and realised that daddy was holding the wheel in one hand, and an iPad in the other. His eyes were on the screen, not the road.

I must admit that I lost my cool at this point and shouted at him to put it down. It'll probably go in one ear and out the other.

Why do people take such crazy risks with other peoples' lives? Even their own children.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Because they are selfish and self centred.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I too have seen an increase in the number of "Ipad idiots". I see a hell of a lot of people talking on phones on the morning commute though. And its normally about 8am, even before anyone is working.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I have seen quite a few people driving over Tower Bridge holding camera phones or tablets taking pictures whilst driving. Nobs

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Thanks for the responses.

I felt bad about yelling at him, but now I'm amongst like-minded, non-idiots I feel a lot better!

Mile195

Veteran
You think it's bad now... wait until those "Google Glass" things appear... There's already a thread on that somewhere though.

My solution would be to make it a legal requirement for car manufacturers to install RF suppressing material within the body of the car (fine Wire mesh is perfect), to impede mobile reception inside.

Can't see that happening though!

Dan B

Disengaged member
My solution would be to make it a legal requirement for car manufacturers to install RF suppressing material within the body of the car (fine Wire mesh is perfect), to impede mobile reception inside.

Can't see that happening though!
Not least because it would be equally impeding for passengers. And what are you supposed to do when you're a single woman travelling alone who breaks down late at nght?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Plus also, there are about a billion other things you can do with an ipad (games, locally-downloaded media) that don't require it to have mobile reception. You're not solving the problem, just moving it around

BSRU

A Human Being
Not least because it would be equally impeding for passengers. And what are you supposed to do when you're a single woman travelling alone who breaks down late at nght?
The technical solution would be something like Vodafone's SureSignal small cell, except it would prevent calls instead and only activate once the ignition has been turned on.

Davidsw8

I know it's a bit old fashioned but I've seen 'driving whilst reading the paper' and 'driving whilst doing ones paperwork' too. This hasn't always been driving in crawling traffic either.

Also saw 'pedestrian crossing the road reading his kindle' this morning too :laugh:

idrivehero.front.jpg

Top Bottom