Driving Whilst Internetting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Dunno. What do married women traveling alone do? ;)
Interknitting?

BSRU

A Human Being
This may not be a solution. In years gone by, I spent a lot of time on the telephone while being driven hither and thither.

When I'm driving with my wife, kids or others, I frequently ask them to answer my calls or read my texts to me. Many motorists do this.

It's perfectly safe, but would be prevented by any sort of interruption of the signal.
That is probably one of the objections that might be made if any government actually tried to introduce such technology, but government agencies are looking into it's viability

campbellab

That is probably one of the objections that might be made if any government actually tried to introduce such technology, but government agencies are looking into it's viability

Loads of cars detect if someone is sat in a seat and give seatbelt warning alarms if they aren't plugged in.

No reason this couldn't be extended to that system - prevent unless there's at least 2 bums on seats. :smile:

BSRU

A Human Being
Loads of cars detect if someone is sat in a seat and give seatbelt warning alarms if they aren't plugged in.

No reason this couldn't be extended to that system - prevent unless there's at least 2 bums on seats. :smile:
Unfortunately I've seen a driver with all the passenger seats used by children but it did not stop the driver using a mobile.

Kookas

Über Member
The technical solution would be something like Vodafone's SureSignal small cell, except it would prevent calls instead and only activate once the ignition has been turned on.

So basically a very low-power portable cell jammer? It could work. Screw the passengers.

It clearly works for my college. No-one has signal there. Don't know if it's a jammer, but I get the feeling.

jarlrmai

Veteran
was thinking about it as punishment for phone using drivers, magnetic phone jammer, stick it low on the side of the car when you go past them at the lights, they'll wonder why their phone doesn't work in their car for ages (until the battery runs out)

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I see a lot of that, people who simply must connect to their FB/twitter accounts regardless of their surrounding, even while crossing the road.

I have a name for them... iPeds.

GC
My name for them is iZombies, because their iDevices turn them into zombies completely unaware of their surroundings.

sabian92

Über Member
So basically a very low-power portable cell jammer? It could work. Screw the passengers.

It clearly works for my college. No-one has signal there. Don't know if it's a jammer, but I get the feeling.

I thought cell jammers were illegal in the UK?

Top Bottom