Drop bars, cheap, full guards and rack!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
OK, so it looks like I may no longer be able to store my commuter in the building for much longer. We have cycle parking but its poor and not in a secure location IMO.

Not a chance I want to risk leaving my current Boardman CX out there so it may have to be sold.

If that happens ill be looking for a second hand / cheap drop bar that must take full mudguards and a rack. Pretty sure most of the carrera range do but what else, any of the defy/allez etc? It doesn't have to look pretty!

May even have a go at building something if I can find the right frame!

vickster

Legendary Member
Triban 3

Allez don't have bosses on the more recent models. The 2012 Defy 2 should take a full rack but only Crud guards (or perhaps Giant's own) - like the Avail

Ribble winter bike should take everything

Or why not insure the Boardman and buy some serious locks/chains that you can leave at work. You'll lose in depreciation, better to spend the money on security

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
I do already have some decent locks, hard to explain but we often have undesirables lurking and even on the premises looking for scrap, batteries, fuel etc we have in abundance so I wouldn't want anything that looks really nice out there

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
I have an MTB and a nice drop bar for weekends already, the Boardman is purely a commuter and bad weather trainer so if I have to replace it then it will be with a drop bar that is full guard and rack capable, basically to cover what the boardman does now but not look so nice, something mechanically sound but which looks like a shed will be perfect!

Will look into insurance but from what I've seen in the past when getting estimates its pretty expensive...

Top Bottom