Drop bars for my hybrid, advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

onlyhuman

I've been enjoying riding with drop bars on an old road bike I bought as an experiment, now I'm thinking of putting drop bars on my Trek 730 Hybrid.

The Trek's bars and stem are in the picture. I measure the stem diameter as 22 mm, the bar diameter is 25 at the clamp.

Should/can I attach drop bars to the existing stem? Put a new stem in? What would you suggest for brakes and shifters? Currently there are twist grip shifters. Should I go for combined brake/gear shifters? The brakes are V-brakes, I understand the brake lever will have to cope with that.

Oh, and if anybody has suitable parts for sale, do let me know.

OP
OP
onlyhuman

onlyhuman

Here's the photo (I hope)

Pic.

mattsccm

Can of worms job here!.
1. Stem is old style quill type.Plenty ou there but consider matching stem to bars as there are sizing differences and some modern bars, meant for ahead stems may not fit.What ever consider a front opening type so that if you want to play around you don't have to strip the tape of to remove the bars.
2. Consider--- hybrid's and mtb's are sized to sit upright. you may find that the top tube is a touch long with drop bars. Take this into account if buying a new stem or suck it and see.
3. shifter/brake levers. To most people combined are the way to go although you could go for bar end shifters. Most would consider down tube shifters outmoded now. But using these with V brakes can cuase poor braking due to them pulling different amounts of cable. Ask 10 different people and you will get 11 diffferent solutions. mine would be to fit cantilevers but I'm awkward. Mini V brakes are worth a try as thats a common combo on cyclo cross bikes .

Top Bottom