Drop bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
If bikes are fitted with drop bars to lower the rider's hand position relative to the saddle why are the bikes not made lower at the front so that flat bars can be fitted at the same height to achieve the same result?:evil:

Sorry, just thinking out loud.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Surely it's not quite the same result though, it's not just angle it's the position. Flats would not allow you to lean so far forward?

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
So it is really the range of different positions available rather then just the hands lower then seat thing.

I've just turned my MTB bar upside down and also turned the riser stem thing upside down too, a drop of about 6", to see what the difference is on the trainer.

Abitrary

Night Train said:
So it is really the range of different positions available rather then just the hands lower then seat thing.

I've just turned my MTB bar upside down and also turned the riser stem thing upside down too, a drop of about 6", to see what the difference is on the trainer.

Yes, although it becomes subconscious after a while.

Also, what people often neglect to say, is that it's mental as well as physical, in that it relieves the boredom going on different parts of the bars sometimes.

But I guess that makes it un-subconscious again. Doh, got a headache now.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Well, it seemed to feel easier to maintain cadence but the loading on my wrists was higher and I couldn't change postion easily without putting a lot of strain on my lower back as there was no higher position to lean on.

It'll go back as it was tomorrow, I think, and if I can find a set of drops I might give them a go.

domtyler

Über Member
It's cheaper, easier and will achieve far better results to sell your current bike and purchase a new road bike than to try and convert a mountain bike to a road bike which will be expensive and you will end up with a right pigs ear as the angles will all be wrong.

So I've heard! :evil:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Bigtallfatbloke said:
or why not build the bike with higher pedals so the saddle is higher and reduce the need for drops?...:evil::biggrin:

Or, let's develop that idea a bit... one BIG wheel at the front, a small wheel behind, and you sit above the big wheel! That'll work! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
domtyler said:
It's cheaper, easier and will achieve far better results to sell your current bike and purchase a new road bike than to try and convert a mountain bike to a road bike which will be expensive and you will end up with a right pigs ear as the angles will all be wrong.

So I've heard! :smile:
This is true but I am 'playing' to see why and to satisfy my curiosity. Not quite re-inventing the wheel but to see why it is as it is in the first place.

Top Bottom