Drop d tuning....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Surely you have to relearn all the chords after doing that?

OP
OP
upsidedown

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
ColinJ said:
Surely you have to relearn all the chords after doing that?

More for bluesy type strumming and picking i think, though i'm no expert. Sounds brilliant even at the hands of an inept amateur like me.

Cubist

Still wavin'
IN drop D tuning you can play power 5 chords all along the bottom three strings with one finger.

Place your finger across the three bottom strings, and at any and every fret you are playing Root, 5th and octave. This is of most benefit to metal "chuggers" etc, who need to have about as much musical skill as the average bass player. (only kidding!!!!) .
Riff building is easy as long as you can remember the blues scale which now on the D string is 0 3 5 6 7 10 12 .

A classic drop D riff which is great fun to learn is Slither by Velvet Revolver

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFxv910zvmc

In drop D tuing the riff goes :
0 3 4 0 6 7 0 10 0 7 0 5 0 3 4

rh100

I tried learning guitar a short while back, really not very good :becool: Keep meaning to have another bash though

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Cubist said:
This is of most benefit to metal "chuggers" etc, who need to have about as much musical skill as the average bass player. (only kidding!!!!) .

roflmaomys128632366727323299.jpg

Sam Kennedy

Metal Players (generally) have more guitar skills than other genres. For example, rappers wont be as good at the guitar as Kirk Hammett, neither will opera singers.

Drop D is really good for metal, however, Bullet for my Valentine overuse it, whereas Metallica rarely(if ever) use it. And Metallica is 1000*10^48 better than Bullet.

mikeitup

Veteran
Sam Kennedy said:
Metal Players (generally) have more guitar skills than other genres. For example, rappers wont be as good at the guitar as Kirk Hammett, neither will opera singers.

Drop D is really good for metal, however, Bullet for my Valentine overuse it, whereas Metallica rarely(if ever) use it. And Metallica is 1000*10^48 better than Bullet.

Drop D is great! but can be overused (Nu-Metal anyone?)
It's fun to play and so easy to come up with cool sounding riffs.

Some classic Drop D tunes are: "Unchained" - Van Halen, "Killing In The Name" - RATM, "Hall Of The Mountain King" - Savatage, "How U remind Me" - Nickelback, "No More Tears" - Ozzy, "Lay It Down" - Ratt, "Mutha (don't wanna go to school today) - Extreme.

Top Bottom