Drop Handlebar Or Flat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
I have set up my old steel frame road bike in both guises over the years. The bike can be set up just fine with flats even though it is a traditional 1980's race bike frame. I always use bar ends with flats with the position on the bar ends being the same as riding on the hoods. I almost never ride on the lower part of dropped bars due to bad back. In some situations such as riding in town and going down steep lanes I think the flat bar position may actually be better for control.

I have lots of spare components from years of fettling so I can switch the setups including stems at no cost. If you are prepared to experiment with different stems and use bar ends you should be able to get a good setup.

Thank you for your comments. This is more or less how I feel at the moment. I need to take the drop bar bike out to really get to grips with a decision. I also only ride on the hoods. The other thing to check out for me is the different frame geometry of a Boardman flat bar to a drop bar, if any.:whistle:

12boy

Guru
Today I took my 1 speed fuji track for a little spin and enjoyed riding a sub 20 bike for a change. The bike is set up with TT brakes and bullhorns. I know it is not a folder, but my Xootr Swift and S Brompton with bar ends feel very similar. As many have noted, the bar ends compensate a lot for a short top tube and/or short , or in the case of the Brompton, no stem at all. Bar ends are cheap and you could try them on your bike without spending much.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thank you for your comments. This is more or less how I feel at the moment. I need to take the drop bar bike out to really get to grips with a decision. I also only ride on the hoods. The other thing to check out for me is the different frame geometry of a Boardman flat bar to a drop bar, if any.:whistle:
Have you thought of 'Bullhorns' with bar end shifters,

3c4d0e8053502a10a5c79c03be4c02ee.jpg

I have a similar set-up on my TT bike

DSCN0057.JPG

but the 'interrupter' levers are fitted back to front

vickster

Legendary Member
It's not the flay barred bike but that was an issue, but the conversion of the same bike/frame from drops to flats that was problematic. Mine was the right size with drops, too cramped once converted even with 3cm more stem. And I prefer a smaller frame to a bigger one generally

OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member

I have now been on the Boardman site and have discovered that the equivalent frame sizes vary between road and hybrid models. :cry: I may just go for it. I can always change it back again if it does not work for me! :ohmy:

vickster

Legendary Member
I only ride on the hoods or tops pretty much too. Still far prefer drops to flats for long distances, there's no issue doing so. I find flatbar bikes good in traffic for me (although the bike is of course wider and harder to manoeuvre)

Just get another bike. Join British Cycling, 10% off at Halfords

OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
Still have not proceeded with this. Maybe I am overthinking the problem. :cry:

OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
OK, so I have taken the plunge! The drop bars have been removed and flat bars installed. ^_^

I am very pleased with the result. It works for me. I feel a lot more comfortable and confident with this setup. As I have got older I am finding that my body is not so flexible as it used to be. The drop bars where being too much of a stretch for me. Flat bars are the way to go for me. :bicycle:

JPBoothy

Veteran
OK, so I have taken the plunge! The drop bars have been removed and flat bars installed. ^_^

I am very pleased with the result. It works for me. I feel a lot more comfortable and confident with this setup. As I have got older I am finding that my body is not so flexible as it used to be. The drop bars where being too much of a stretch for me. Flat bars are the way to go for me. :bicycle:
I'm glad it has worked out well for you. I have converted my last two Cannondale caadx bikes from drops to flats and have enjoyed them both so much more. I have even entered a few Cyclocross races on them and felt more confident at not having to reach for the brake levers. I appreciate the advice about the difference in frame geometry etc, but I think the only true test is to take the plunge as you have. It amazed me how many people tried to talk me out of flats though by harping on about the benefits of drops. I think they must have been 'proper' cyclists :laugh:

I'm glad it has worked out well for you. I have converted my last two Cannondale caadx bikes from drops to flats and have enjoyed them both so much more. I have even entered a few Cyclocross races on them and felt more confident at not having to reach for the brake levers. I appreciate the advice about the difference in frame geometry etc, but I think the only true test is to take the plunge as you have. It amazed me how many people tried to talk me out of flats though by harping on about the benefits of drops. I think they must have been 'proper' cyclists :laugh:

Lol

OP
OP
AyJay

AyJay

Über Member
For me the only advantage of drops is being more aerodynamic. I can understand that flats are not for everybody. As old age approaches comfort is a higher priority and that is where I am now. I don't mind not being a "proper" cyclist. :laugh:

I am very happy with my flat bar experiment. ^_^

Top Bottom