Drop handlebar to flat. Some reassurance that choices are correct?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
I've got this project of converting road bike from drop to flat handlebars.

I've read a lot about it but just need confirmation that I'm on the right path.
Road bike = 56cm frame, double x 8 speed. It has claris derailleur front and rear, 31.8cm handlebar, Tektro dual pivot long reach brakes.

I'm right to say that anything below 10 speed, shimano mtb and road shifters should all be compatible? And as long as the shifters are also 2x front and rear made for 8 speed then they'll work?

For road calipers, I'll need short pull brakes levers for a flat bar. Claris will work with long or short pull brakes after adjusting a little switch.

Am I missing anything?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
mtb derailliers have a different cable pull , best bets is to get a set of 2x8 claris flat bar shifters

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've done this both ways, flat to drop, then back to flat.

The big difference is the reach - you will have a much shorter reach with flat bars unless you change the stem. Does the bike fit you now? If so you may feel a bit squashed.

As for the compatibility I think you are right.

OP
OP
rockyraccoon

rockyraccoon

Veteran
@All uphill, yes bike fits me fine and it has 110mm stem for oversized handlebars which will probably need replacing because the shifter levers for flat handlbars will only fit smaller 24.5mm bars. A few things to considerate

philtalksbx

Über Member
There's a coincidence - see my Claud Butler build thread last post today is the conversion to flat bars.
I'll check on specific components, it all came out of the parts bin. At the moment it's still on 600 downtube shifters and 7-speed mech. I have a Deore LX 9-speed shifter coming, I'll let you know what works with it when it gets here.
Reach is great and lets me sit up a bit more than with the drop bars, which I find very comfy around town.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
its the front that can be an issue , i had no end of trouble when i did an 8 by two from flat to drop
I am running friction shifting on my conversion now, so no bother at all at the front.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am running friction shifting on my conversion now, so no bother at all at the front.
i did the same i ended up with bar end shifters from flat to drop as i did it on the cheap

Attachments

• drop bar bike.jpg
    drop bar bike.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 6
The main reason I linked that particular type of shifter is that my experience says road front derailleur are NOT the same as MTB, even if the rears are. Those are fully STI compatible versions meant to do precisiely what you are wanting.

Top Bottom