Dropout adjusters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie

Errrr.....
Just had my [thread=37989]new bike[/thread] in at the LBS to get the dropouts checked and aligned. In discussion later the chap mentioned the frame should probably have come with adjuster screws for the dropouts to keep the rear wheel axle square when fitting the wheel.

Now; these would be extremely useful in my case as the frame has such tight clearances that when the wheel is fully back in the dropouts the chain rubs on the rear stay when the small cog on the cassette is selected. The adjusters would allow me to set the axle further forward in the dropout to clear the stays. Unfortunately the LBS can't supply them, though they can tap the threads if I can find some. So the question is, where can I get some?

Mate if your dropouts are not right the back end of your bike is bent ie it has had a bad bash/knock/crash... So what I would do if it was one of my bikes at work is check the frame it see if it is ok? then if it is reset the dropouts then reset the mech hanger. None of this new dropouts/ tapping of threads...

PS how can they change both dropouts if just one can be taken off with out cutting the frame???

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Hmmm, not sure what to make of your reply spandex. All the LBS have done is aligned the dropouts. The frame tracking was checked too and it's fine. All we were talking about was putting two spring loaded screws into the dropouts - you can see where they're meant to go.

Aligning the dropouts isn't too major a job for a frame made in the 90's, and probably not unexpected, but you seem to think there's something seriously wrong? we're not talking about new dropouts, just an extra bit on the existing ones.

If your chain is hitting the chain stay there is something wrong it may not be bad. If the frame is fine and the dropouts have been aligned the next thing I would look at is the chain line I would be looking if there is to many cogs on the back? or maybe the wrong size chain?

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
It's a 130mm rear axle so should be no problem fitting a 10s block. Maybe the BB spindle length? Not sure what you mean by wrong size chain, it's definitely for 10s and the length cut as tight as possible.

BTW if anyone wants to answer the original question whilst we work this out, feel free. :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Archie, I know what you're after, the screws and springs.
Have you tried a frame builder/restorer?

Try Mercian, Argos, Bob Jackson, Dave Yates, even SJS might have such a thing rattlin' around in their store-room.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
spandex said:
Looking at the bike on the link you put up it is a 9speed frame you block is to close to the frame.
OK, I guess that makes sense given the age of the frame. Not something I'd anticipated - there's been lots of learning with this project and this is another snippet.

However I guess the best fix is the adjusters!

Ok its up to you

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
spandex said:
Ok its up to you
Do you think the adjusters are A Bad Idea?

I appreciate the best solution is fit a 9s group to a 9s frame, but that's not where I am right now. if I know the potential issues with moving the rear axle forward using adjusters I can make an informed decision on the next course of action.

Bigtwin

Archie said:
Do you think the adjusters are A Bad Idea?

I appreciate the best solution is fit a 9s group to a 9s frame, but that's not where I am right now. if I know the potential issues with moving the rear axle forward using adjusters I can make an informed decision on the next course of action.

Just try them and see, it's not going to do any harm. If they can take the stresses of a fixed set-up, I can't see any problem. In any event, it you have the holes, you may as well fill them for the aesthetics!

Top Bottom