Dropped Chain CF Frame damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
This is my new Orbea Orca that cost me about £4.5k...the most expensive purchase (barring my flat) I've ever made:

1616621159928.png

It's a very pretty bike. Sadly it's not so pretty now after one too many chain suck incidents:
1616621223987.png

I kept adjusting the limit screws after each chain suck (it didn't happen every time I downshifted) but it's managed to do this damage.

I think I've been out on less than ten rides so this sort of damage has really got me down. I'm in touch with my friend/owner of the LBS where I bought it. It's a custom paint job so a new frame would take ages to turn up and of course the factories are very busy anyway. I want to ride the bike this coming spring/summer/autumn.

What do you think will happen next? I got the bike in November I think but I've only started riding it in the past few weeks. Will Orbea repair it? Replace it? Do you think it's still safe to ride? I can see loose carbon fibers :'(

Any attempts to cheer me up on what has so far been a fairly depressing week gratefull received!
Thanks.

After the first chain drop I’m surprised you didn’t spend £30 or so on a chain catcher to prevent it hitting the frame again!

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
After the first chain drop I’m surprised you didn’t spend £30 or so on a chain catcher to prevent it hitting the frame again!

Chain catchers are something I usually only associate with one-by setups. Usually with my other bikes adjusting the limit screws (and not by much) has been enough.

Also, telling me what I should have done in hindsight doesn't help much with the cheering up aspect...that's what I've spent the whole week doing! Thanks anyway though! :tongue:

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
How is it user error? It was set up wrong! That's how it came from the manufacturer, I shouldn't have to adjust the limit screws myself before going on my first ride. Bizarre.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
That doesn't make a great deal of sense, I've got years of experience maintaining bikes, to such an extent that I've helped with CycleUK's Dr Bike sessions locally. I did the correct thing to try and fix it myself (tightened the low limit screw) and it didn't help. Damage was likely caused the first time it happened anyway. I won't be impressed at all if Orbea wash their hands of it as at the end of the day this was their fault for not setting up the front mech correctly to begin with.

Besides all that, chain suck on previous bikes I've had has never caused such damage, so there's that too.

That's a load of hogwash. Are you saying that you know how to fettle a bike? In that case the mfg are out of it because you have accepted responsibility for sorting out the problem.
You are digging a bigger hole for yourself. You messed about with the bike and now you expect mfg to come to your rescue.
Your fault. Accept it.

Milzy

Guru
That doesn't make a great deal of sense, I've got years of experience maintaining bikes, to such an extent that I've helped with CycleUK's Dr Bike sessions locally. I did the correct thing to try and fix it myself (tightened the low limit screw) and it didn't help. Damage was likely caused the first time it happened anyway. I won't be impressed at all if Orbea wash their hands of it as at the end of the day this was their fault for not setting up the front mech correctly to begin with.

Besides all that, chain suck on previous bikes I've had has never caused such damage, so there's that too.
It’s a bad design & sorry to say not anyway near worth 4.5k. You could have bought a super 6 evo frame set & built up with any group of your choice, added hand built hoops, & have a better lighter bike with over 1k change. :sad:
Just fine sand it & put a sticker over or get the frame filled/re-sprayed.

Top Bottom