Dropped Chain CF Frame damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I would ask the supplier if there is something that can be done.

Failing that if you have the cash see if someone can repair the damage, or some kind of tape to hide and protect that area.

As others have said don't ride it until the issue is resolved as you don't won't further damage.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Its not chain suck, its a dropped chain, probably caused, as you surmise, by incorrect lower limit screw adjustment on the Front mech.

(chain suck is the chain wrapping itsself back up the rear side of the small ring instead of heading off towards the back wheel.

Does the ORCA come with a chain catcher / dog fang? as that is the usual way to protect the frame from that occurring. they are dead cheap and IMHO should be fitted to all CF frames.
1616663934870.png

I don't think the frame damage is structural from the photo, but its des need a cosmetic repair. A number of manufacturers put a thick sticker with aluminium in it in that area, specifically to prevent such damage, it needs to be stronger that the chain whip stickers you get for chain stays.

I'd speak to your mate at the LBS first off, he should have some leverage with Orbea to get a satisfactory outcome. It looks like its electronic gears, which, again may not have been initially indexed correctly - do they have a mechanical lower limit screw?

some of the posts last night weren't helpful.

Chislenko

Veteran
To the OP.

When it happened on mine the supplying LBS had shut down so no going back there.

I did contact Orbea direct but got no joy hence I bit the bullet and just got it repaired myself.

Despite having a well written English language website when you contact Orbea a lot gets lost in translation between English / Basque / Spanish!

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Thanks all, as I've said elsewhere in the thread I have ordered SRAM's chain spotter part. Got a reply from the LBS, they haven't heard back from Orbea yet. With regards to whose fault it may be, is it definitely the LBS's job to check that the front mech is set up properly in this situation? Seems like a silly question to ask even reading it, but the front mech does come attached and presumably someone at the factory does at least try to make sure it's right. I guess the counterpoint would be something can go wrong in shipping and then it's their responsibility to check it's still fine before I get my hands on it.

The thing is it was very intermittent that it dropped the chain, otherwise I would have ceased riding it immediately. I think despite having played around with it on my mechanic stand it for an hour or two it only actually dropped the chain once in that time (at which point I adjusted the limit screw, again...I assumed that would be the end of it.). Given that the guy who owns the shop is my friend, I'm not keen on blaming him and the shop's staff, especially given my own experience with the bike on a stand suggests that the issue wouldn't reveal itself very quickly.

I think what I'm getting at is if the 30 minute or so check at the shop suggests it's all in good order and it turns out it isn't, isn't that more Orbea's fault than the shop's? If it only drops the chain 1 in every 30 downshifts, it doesn't seem really fair to blame the shop. Bleh, buying from friends puts things in an awkward spot!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d say an LBS should do a thorough PDI before handing over any bike and esp one of that value!
That time should be built into their margin

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Without doubt the shop should be doing the PDI on the bike and any decent mechanic would be able to set it up so it would not drop as part of that PDI. They would also err on the side of caution and put the tolerance closer to not shifting to the smaller ring rather than over shifting. Friend or not they need to come up with some kind of solution whether they talk to Orbea or not. The LBS has probably been flat out for close to a year with bikes, so may not have spent as much time as they should on the bike or had the wrong person PDI it. Good luck, I am not sure you will get a great outcome though

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
I'm dreading that this is going to come down to what I care about more, good relations with my friend who owns the shop and thus a keystone in the local road cycling club that I help run, or the paint on my shiny new bike. As irritating as this is I care about the former more than the latter. The cycling club is one of the things I love about where I live and crapping in the well (or whatever the correct idiom would be) isn't appealing. Yuck.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Legally your contact is with your LBS not the manufacturer. All you can do is put pressure on him. If you don't want to do that a repair is only other option.
Sorry.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Time for an update. I was going to wait from LBS owner to get back to me on what Orbea said, but it was eating away at me so I went down to the shop to have an ernest chat.

In the end he said regardless of what the manufacturer said, he'll get it fixed one way or another and cover the cost, even if that means shipping it to and paying for 3rd party carbon repair. PHEW!

So...there's a fair chance I won't be riding my shiny new bike for at least some if not all of this spring/summer...so that's crap. The main thing however is my friend and LBS is looking after me, so it's a huge relief 😊

Thanks for the help all, hopefully I'll be riding it again before the nights are longer than daylight again!

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Time for an update. I was going to wait from LBS owner to get back to me on what Orbea said, but it was eating away at me so I went down to the shop to have an ernest chat.

In the end he said regardless of what the manufacturer said, he'll get it fixed one way or another and cover the cost, even if that means shipping it to and paying for 3rd party carbon repair. PHEW!

So...there's a fair chance I won't be riding my shiny new bike for at least some if not all of this spring/summer...so that's crap. The main thing however is my friend and LBS is looking after me, so it's a huge relief 😊

Thanks for the help all, hopefully I'll be riding it again before the nights are longer than daylight again!
But you do have that rather smart looking cargo bike. I would not be ashamed to ride that around at all. Looks like jolly good fun and stupendously practical.

Top Bottom