Dropped it on its forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Went out on a ride today got the bike caked in crud from the road so I set about cleaning it when I got home.

I have a bike stand that I use, when I first used it it marked my top tube as the protectors aren't very good so I used a t-shirt to stop it marking the frame, only I didn't tighten the adjuster when I set it up again. Took front wheel off and cleaned away, had some trouble getting rear end clean and all of a sudden it starts falling off.

Thump! Front end was first point of contact from about 2 foot high. I have dinged the base of the forks, after checking all over, tried to get the front wheel back on, looks like the very end of the fork is bent as was a struggle to get spindle in place :sad:

Gutted!

screenman

Legendary Member
Not the lawyers lips in the way.

OP
OP
Stu Plows

Stu Plows

Not the lawyers lips in the way.
Had to google that.

Nope, had the wheel on and off a few times before, never had a problem. I checked each end individually with the threaded part of spindle the left hand side wouldn't take it so guess that bits bent inward slightly. I took it off the stand and used a bit of force and the wheel dropped in, so its only bent slightly (so I think).

LimeBurn

Über Member
It pains me when things like this happen so feel sorry for you. I used to use the top tube until I realised I could quite easily use the seat post just as easy without marking the paint work. So obvious really but must have been going through a blonde period. (no disrespect to any blondes on here^_^)

LimeBurn

Über Member
Its ridiculous that we as adults do things on a regular basis without thinking about the outcomes, after selling my road bike a week or so ago I stuck the money in my wallet and thought ill stick it in the bank next time I'm passing, this morning our postman knocked on the door with my wallet in hand saying he'd found it outside our house, all my cards were still there but the wallet was devoid of any cash. Must have dropped it on way back from Tesco last night. £500 lighter, insurance won't co er it and off to lake district for our anniversary on Monday so won't be as lavish a celebration as I wanted it to be. Onwards and upwards eh?

400bhp

Guru
Its ridiculous that we as adults do things on a regular basis without thinking about the outcomes, after selling my road bike a week or so ago I stuck the money in my wallet and thought ill stick it in the bank next time I'm passing, this morning our postman knocked on the door with my wallet in hand saying he'd found it outside our house, all my cards were still there but the wallet was devoid of any cash. Must have dropped it on way back from Tesco last night. £500 lighter, insurance won't co er it and off to lake district for our anniversary on Monday so won't be as lavish a celebration as I wanted it to be. Onwards and upwards eh?

Bollox, that's a real sh1_tter:sad:

OP
OP
Stu Plows

Stu Plows

Urgh, that's even worse pal. I'm so sorry :sad:

Depending on the fork and the damage, you cold either, very gently apply some force to bend it back via an adjustable spanner on the end of the tab or take a small file and take a little metal off because it can't be out much if you can still get it in.

IMG_3929dropout_wrenchsm.JPG

That's the rear, steel of course but you could still do the same with a front but with the spanner positioned to bend it back out. Probably won't take much force.

OP
OP
Stu Plows

Stu Plows

Suppose filing wouldn't be too much of a bad solution. It'd be difficult with the adjustable spanner to do, suppose it was my explanaion of damage that wasn't clear.

If the forks were sitting straight, the front of the area where the spindle (threaded bit) sits in the end of the forks is bent towards the back thus making the opening smaller. I feel like I am explaining it badly lol.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Suppose filing wouldn't be too much of a bad solution. It'd be difficult with the adjustable spanner to do, suppose it was my explanaion of damage that wasn't clear.

If the forks were sitting straight, the front of the area where the spindle (threaded bit) sits in the end of the forks is bent towards the back thus making the opening smaller. I feel like I am explaining it badly lol.
Don't forget to repaint or treat if you're filing them

Top Bottom