Dropping Dead - What happens ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sadly a work colleague in her 50s collapsed and died at work today. I gave CPR but couldn't revive her...

She hadn't been ill had no heart conditions - I had been chatting to her litteraly seconds earlier - I turn my back and she was on the floor - obviously heart attack - but what actually happens ? Does the heart just stop beating ? - she didn't clutch her chest , there was just no warning

I notice the colour drain from her pretty quickly heart attack / annuerism ?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sadly a work colleague in her 50s collapsed and died at work today. I gave CPR but couldn't revive her...

She hadn't been ill had no heart conditions - I had been chatting to her litteraly seconds earlier - I turn my back and she was on the floor - obviously heart attack - but what actually happens ? Does the heart just stop beating ? - she didn't clutch her chest , there was just no warning

I notice the colour drain from her pretty quickly heart attack / annuerism ?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myocardial_infarction

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Well done for doing CPR you did your best, I've done it twice now with 100% success rate, the first time I was chatting to him and he just fell off his chair so I felt for a pulse and started CPR.
The second time man dead in bed no pulse and had wet himself dragged on the floor and started CPR, both time the ambulance came very quickly so well pleased.
Once again well done

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm going to be quite cold and maybe heartless now. She's not bothered what happens now, she's dead.
But this will affect you, tonight and in the next few weeks. Seek any help you can in the form of support and counseling, don't try to brush off the event or 'tough it out'.
The people left behind are the ones that suffer and you are likely to have some pretty bad feelings if inadequacy and mortality in the weeks and months ahead. To be the one present at such a sudden and unexpected ending to a life will fill you with doubts that maybe you could have done more (you couldn't) or that it might be your turn next (highly unlikely).
Accept any support that you can :hugs:

midlife

Guru
Well done for doing CPR, classis heart attack usually causes pain, somebody has already mentioned acute onset electrical malfunction that stops the heart beating properly and just starts shaking like a jelly.

Do you have an automatic defibrillator at work?

classic33

Leg End Member
What @I like Skol says.

Think now of yourself, your work colleague can't be helped now. At the worst look back at what you did and remind yourself, "I tried". There's many who wouldn't have tried.

classic33

Leg End Member
i think you're missing the point by a country mile... he's not asking what happens now, he's asking what causes someone to just go so quickly. The OP is quite clear about that.
Me, the heart just stopped.

The Dr. who performed the CPR was left shaken. He blamed me for not letting them know of an allergy. I never blamed anyone, it was just one of those things. He was left sweating and had to be helped off me on the floor. He accepted that help, having to take a break after he'd sorted himself out.

That help is what I'm assuming @I like Skol is referring to.

Well done for doing all you could. CPR isn't a miracle cure, really it is to give people a fighting chance until the Ambulance arrives.

You gave your best for her, don't let go of that fact.

As @I like Skol and @classic33 have already said: make sure you get support over the next weeks and months: everyone is different so get the support you will need regardless of what others see as "normal".

Also you may still be in shock at the moment.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I am still in shock. Literally seconds earlier I was happily chatting to her. Turned my back - she was on the floor.

I don't think there was anything more I could have done - I work in hospital so plenty of others tried CPR

Despite not saving her - I am thankful for being CPR trained - at least I had a fighting chance.

Top Bottom