drops on a hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dode927

Hi im looking to put drops on my sirrus 2011 comp i have seen bars 25.4 diameter the same as my as my flat bars with a bulge to 31.4 for the clamp would this work so that i could retain the brakes and shifters. any help would be great

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The issue about the conversion you are talking about (or by implication the reverse) is not about the bar diameter at the stem, it is about:
a) handlebar diameter at the grips, drops are 23.8mm, flats are 22.2mm, meaning flat levers generally won't fit on drops
b) if one changed the levers also then one encounters a whole new spectrum of incompatibility issues, since drop bar brifters deliver inadequate brake cable pull for V brakes and mtb/flat spec front mechs. Such mechs also assume different chainline to road's, so a change of front mech could have other knock-on effects.

There are workarounds, but see this.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
A lot more complicated than it would first appear: have you considered butterfly bars? Should be a straight swap then.

Putting drop bars on a hybrid or MTB is something I've done myself. And will probably do again sometime. I'm writing to mention another slight complication - not to put you off however, but just to let you know.
Road bike frame geometry is slightly different to hybrids/MTBs with regard to top tube length. Road bike frames usually have shorter top tubes (by maybe 2cm - 5cm approx). So road bikes work nicely with drop bars for both steering and how much reach there is to position of your hands on the bars. Because of the longer top tubes on hybrids/MTBs, when you use drop bars with your average stem length, then your position and 'feel' of the steering is just a bit 'off' - not a definite occurence, just often it's like that. So you may need to try a shorter stem length to make it all feel right and work well.
I converted one particular MTB to drops and, after trying different set-ups, found that I could never get it to feel 'just right'. Because even with a short/medium/long stem, the steering never felt properly natural. It wasn't that big a deal, just mildy disappointing. On the other hand I've converted an old Marin MTB to drops and that feels fine.
So there you go; something else to factor into the equation.

Top Bottom