Votes: 2 100.0%
  • i always decend on the hoods

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I decend using both

• i'm not sure but it could be neither

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randochap

Senior hunter
I voted both, but if it's a nice long, straight decent I'll get on the drops.

Not only that, I'll spin some momentum in high gear, tuck right down toward the top tube, get my knees inside the diamond and milk it for all it's worth!:biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
this may be a dumb question but why are drops so prevalent when so many people seem to avoid actually using them? Wouldn't a different style of bar, brake levers and shifters be more appropriate?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Depends on the descent, I like using the drops when it's twisty but fast- I corner by just applying a bit of forward pressure on the bar to the inside of the turn, I find that easier on the drops, the feel of it just seems right. Otherwise I tend to use the hoods. I might also switch to the drops so I can get my hands right behind the brake levers for a bit more leverage.

jayce

MacBludgeon said:
this may be a dumb question but why are drops so prevalent when so many people seem to avoid actually using them? Wouldn't a different style of bar, brake levers and shifters be more appropriate?

im the same i use the hoods 100% i find it more comfy :biggrin:

OP
OP
P

peanut

Young Un said:
Use the drops most of the time for descending.

Also a thing to try if you want a strange feeling/scare yourself - descend with one hand on the hoods and one on the drops - if gives you a really wierd feeling.

tried that ...been there... got the T shirt :biggrin: never again:ohmy:

Rob S

MacBludgeon said:

I've been thinking of going flatbar for at least a couple of years for this reason but that would mean a) going 10 speed, :wacko: giving up my carbon lever blades or paying £200ish for Chorus FB Ergos...which hardly anyone sells anyway, c) an endless quest for the right new position on my Colnago:wacko:

Randochap

Senior hunter
MacBludgeon said:

Maybe because most people have their bars too low in the first place. There is a "sweet spot" for most people, even for creaky old farts like me.

As I've reiterated endlessly here, most modern, off-the-peg bikes have the steerer cut too low for all but racers and racer wanabees (who'll never admit they're uncomfortable).

Sure, the hoods are going to be where we spend most time, but it should also be comfortable in the drops when we want to duck a headwind, are on the front of the paceline, or want a downhill thrill.

There is a compromise that can be achieved. It doesn't have to be an all or "other" decision. If you aren't using all the positions drops afford (that's their advantage in the first place) then try raising the bar with a longer steerer (ie. new fork needed) or installing a hi-rise stem and/or shorter stem. The new "short and shallow bars also help, by shortening both reach and drop.

See example of these and longer steerer on my Sportivo "Randonnee."

Finally, for some people, and for some uses, yes, different bars would be more appropriate.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Chris James said:
If the road is gentle downhill then I use either.

But for any sort of speed / technicality / scareyness I always use the drops.

I feel I have better control of the bike and better braking.

Also I go faster!
+1 :ohmy:

Radius

SHREDDER
Dave5N said:
:biggrin: :tongue:

The drops is/are the best place for braking.

Thought someone might pick up on that. If I'm behind a car or something, then I prefer to be on the hoods for closer control, so perhaps I should've said 'if there's long enough before I'd decide to go back on the hoods'

Top Bottom