Votes: 2 100.0%
  • i always decend on the hoods

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I decend using both

• i'm not sure but it could be neither

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
stoatsngroats said:
It's called 'Counter-Steering', and your point about balance is correct...

If you push slightly, the opposite way you wish to turn, you move the centre of gravity, towards what becomes the inside of the corner, (I think this is correct!). Motorcyclists employ this much more, because their weight is so large!:biggrin:

I see, but just as an example and thinking out loud here, wouldnt doing that on a left turn cause a slight move out before turning?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Yes, but it really is slight.

Kablinsky

I prefer the hoods but if I'm going for it I'm on the drops for the more aero position.

Definitely find a nice wide traffic free road to practice the couter-steering on and defnitely not on blind corners in a residential road with lots of parked cars as people can get quite annoyed when you suddenly mount the pavement.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the hill is not steep, I might be on the drops but that would depend on how my back felt, whether I was bothered about descending quickly, whether there was a headwind and so on.

On steep hills, I'm always on the drops for better control, better braking, but mainly to avoid that headfirst-over-the-handlebars feeling.

This hill is about 17% - drops!

midgley_road.jpg

And we have hills round here at 25%. I wouldn't advise riding down those on the hoods! :biggrin:

620420865_cd3cef6bbb.jpg

horsehold_road.jpg

ColinJ said:
If the hill is not steep, I might be on the drops but that would depend on how my back felt, whether I was bothered about descending quickly, whether there was a headwind and so on.

On steep hills, I'm always on the drops for better control, better braking, but mainly to avoid that headfirst-over-the-handlebars feeling.

This hill is about 17% - drops!

And we have hills round here at 25%. I wouldn't advise riding down those on the hoods! xx(

horsehold_road.jpg

That looks like a hill near me only the road in your pic is is a bit better surfaced wider and lighter. My road also goes straight onto a more major road, I use the hoods there or go the main road which falls the same distance but in 2.5 x the length.

simongrant

I like being in the drops and on the hoods but i dont like unclipping from the drops for some reason,i never feel 100% that im gonna lean to my right as thats the foot im most comfortable unclipping from,have no problems from the hoods though.

Simon

jimboalee

It has been know for Jimboalee to freewheel down Gorcot hill sat up holding his full zip jacket out like a parachute.

Lazy and cooling.:ohmy:

jimboalee

Its a matter of confidence.

Whether you can apply the leverage when holding on the hoods. I can.

The drop down to Speedwell cavern on the Castleton Classic ( two weeks away ) is ridden slowly with hands on hoods.

Its also a matter of how you know your brakes - experience.

There are no rules here. Do what you think is safest.

OP
OP
P

peanut

As jimbo says the decision to use the drops on downhills is probably strongly influenced by how effectively you can apply the brakes from the hoods ..or not:biggrin: as the case may be.

I have large strong hands and Shimano STi brakes and I can do an emergency stop from 35mph with just two fingers on the brake levers from the hoods.

With total confidence in my ability to brake in any circumstance I have no need to go onto the drops, ever.

I would question any assertion that it is safer to steer in the drops. For one thing you would put considerably more weight on the steering on the drops and another thing is your hands are more remote from the steerer so there will be less direct steering effect.
I wonder if anyone has tested this.?

asterix

Comrade Member
It's a mystery to me why people would want to make an exhilarating descent on the hoods. Down on the drops you have more control and are more aerodynamic and have a lower centre of gravity and can apply the brakes with more precision. It also feels faster as you are a bit nearer the ground!

Top Bottom