Votes: 2 100.0%
  • i always decend on the hoods

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I decend using both

• i'm not sure but it could be neither

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
peanut said:
Tell me what you use and why :tongue:

It all depends on how much braking I need to do.

Having been caught out on descending Greenhow Bank at Pateley Bridge when braking from the hoods and hitting a pot hole only to have the bars rotate forwards and me momentarily losing control and braking effort I can tell you it was not a happy time for my sphincter.

Gentle descents from the hoods.

Fast descents on steep hills then the drops every time.

ASC1951

Guru
palinurus said:
when it's twisty but fast- I corner by just applying a bit of forward pressure on the bar to the inside of the turn,
Top Tip, that, Palinurus. I've been cycling for....years and I've only just discovered how much smoother and quicker it is to corner by pushing on the inside arm instead of pulling on the outside arm. It seems all wrong but it's actually much better.

I find that just as easy on the hoods as the drops. I only descend on the drops if I am expecting serious braking (very steep/poor surface/unknown road/giving it death etc).

karimali831

I've been descending on the hoods and still do. Drops is something I will probably do later on as I'm not 100% comfortable with it. Although, it's much easier to apply the brakes on the drops of course than it is on the hoods. ;)

Rob S

I wonder how much of a boost the redesigned Campag Ergos give to braking whilst on the hoods...it's one of the principle reasons for them looking so ugly.

mondobongo

Über Member
In the drops get nice and low and push it. Flick the peak of my cap up before I drop for better visibility. Your hands are right behind the brakes in the drops as well should you need them.

gbs

Guru
palinurus said:
I corner by just applying a bit of forward pressure on the bar to the inside of the turn, quote]

Why doesn't that take you the other way? Forward pressure on LH bar to turn right and vice versa surely. :rolleyes:

Joe

Über Member
Rob S said:
I wonder how much of a boost the redesigned Campag Ergos give to braking whilst on the hoods...it's one of the principle reasons for them looking so ugly.
Breaking from the hoods is excellent on them, definitely an improvement. Don't like the lighter shifting though:sad:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Find a fairly easy descent without much traffic. Position yourself in the centre of the lane, get on the drops and push your left hand forwards- you'll turn towards the kerb/verge (or you can pull the right hand side- see what method feels best). Push with the right and you'll turn towards right side of the road.

It should quickly feel "natural", then try it out while cornering.

col

Legendary Member
palinurus said:
Find a fairly easy descent without much traffic. Position yourself in the centre of the lane, get on the drops and push your left hand forwards- you'll turn towards the kerb/verge (or you can pull the right hand side- see what method feels best). Push with the right and you'll turn towards right side of the road.

It should quickly feel "natural", then try it out while cornering.

What you seem to be doing is unbalancing yourself to turn, why not just lean left and follow with the steering?

col said:
What you seem to be doing is unbalancing yourself to turn, why not just lean left and follow with the steering?

It's called 'Counter-Steering', and your point about balance is correct...

If you push slightly, the opposite way you wish to turn, you move the centre of gravity, towards what becomes the inside of the corner, (I think this is correct!). Motorcyclists employ this much more, because their weight is so large!:biggrin:

Top Bottom