Drugs not passed for animal use waivers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just got a drug licensed for humans to give to our dog after signing a waiver. Apparently drug companies for animal drugs sometimes find it more efficient to get a drug approved for human use then selling into veterinary market with waivers. The reason I got was that human approval is easier because you don't have to get several animal species approval just one a human! Dog, car, rabbits, etc met approval which could mean many approvals needed. Then again for rabbits and any other pet species potentially prey to wild predators need to have time to break down measured too. Apparently needs to get out of system quickly so it can't build up to being dangerous.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Has anyone else come across this?

Squirrel Chaser

My dog gets stuff if he needs it, mostly human issue.
He certainly does not get fed "dog food" either.
Give him antihistamines and codene in the past.
The stuf from the vets is over priced but convenient,quite often I can replicate the items from the human supplies...

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We have to sign these when our rabbit gets medicine.
We were told that there is such a small market for rabbit only medicine that they just use cat or dog medicine.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep, I got given some human steroid eye drops for my cat’s inflamed ear. He’s not keen, shakes his head on application and given the drops are very liquid, most of it ends up on me. At least I’m not concerned if a little goes in my eyes :rolleyes:

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Our dog has drops for her eyes after a vplasty op on a lump on her eyelid. The old trick in your hand while drops in her eye no longer works. She smells the drops being bright out of the fridge from the other room and gets up to waddle over to hide under the dining room table!

We get her and double team her but it's so funny! She takes a snap at the treat the immediately at my partner with the eye drop bottle then back to the treat!

She's a clever thing. Taught herself how to take the cone of shame off. She has to roll on her back, wriggle a certain way and once she got the wiggle to move her tailwards she flicks her head up and the cone catches on something to come off. Took her two days to work that out but she did.

The human tablets are a kind of mild sedative to take the chill off the itch from it healing. It'll make her less bothered by the itchy eye. I don't care it isn't licensed for dogs because the vet's prescribed it. I don't think they'd do that without it being safe, even with the waiver.

vickster

Legendary Member
Our dog has drops for her eyes after a vplasty op on a lump on her eyelid. The old trick in your hand while drops in her eye no longer works. She smells the drops being bright out of the fridge from the other room and gets up to waddle over to hide under the dining room table!

We get her and double team her but it's so funny! She takes a snap at the treat the immediately at my partner with the eye drop bottle then back to the treat!

She's a clever thing. Taught herself how to take the cone of shame off. She has to roll on her back, wriggle a certain way and once she got the wiggle to move her tailwards she flicks her head up and the cone catches on something to come off. Took her two days to work that out but she did.

The human tablets are a kind of mild sedative to take the chill off the itch from it healing. It'll make her less bothered by the itchy eye. I don't care it isn't licensed for dogs because the vet's prescribed it. I don't think they'd do that without it being safe, even with the waiver.

What drug is it?

stephec

Legendary Member
We did the same thing for our dog, she needed three months of amoxicillin which was around £50, or we could've bought a different animal type which we were told was the same stuff for the bargain price of £250.

Gillstay

Über Member
Our last neighbour used to use his horse meds on himself, but I don't think the horse had to sign for them.

A few years ago I was bothered by earwax, as was my cat, (ear mites) vet sold us some drops for the cat, and I thought “what possible harm could it do, if it’s all right for a sensitive cat’s ears?” Did the trick, a bit of fizzing and clicking and I got a cast of my ear canal out.

Top Bottom