drugs topic again, but take a look

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Two songwriters of the same baseline? How would you propose measuring how good a songwriter was? What would be the standard unit of songwriting prowess? (perhaps the James Blunt, there'd be 1000 of these to the Dylan perhaps?)

Tetedelacourse

palinurus said:
Two songwriters of the same baseline? How would you propose measuring how good a songwriter was? What would be the standard unit of songwriting prowess? (perhaps the James Blunt, there'd be 1000 of these to the Dylan perhaps?)

:blush:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm not sure writing songs while tripping would result in better material. More likely Jim Morrison style poetry or similar (not sure this could be described on the James Blunt scale)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
tomb1960 said:
Are these people creative as a result of pharmacology or does their creativity drive them to experiment with pharmacology?.

Can't really see how drugs might make someone more creative (except as subject matter: Lou Reed is the first example that comes to mind). They may well help to remove some inhibitions to creativity. Good musicians like to give the boundaries a bit of a shove. This personality trait may well influence other aspects of their lifestyles. There's sometimes going to be a bit of crosstalk.

Big Bren

Throughout history, creative people have experimented with mind-altering substances; always have, always will.

What's different today and intensely objectionable, is that the sad, self-destructive behaviour of a few famous alcoholics, bulimics and junkies has become newsworthy in and of itself, despite their obvious lack of talent or product.

It's all rather worrying - a few years ago, being a wino/junkie carried a huge amount of social stigma and would guarantee to remove the oxygen of publicity that these people need. Thesedays, it seems just fine and dandy and no impediment whatsoever to a hugely lucrative career in the 'entertainment' industry.

Bren

Canrider

Guru
I've always maintained that The Funk can be measured in milliBootsies.

domtyler

Über Member
Big Bren said:
Throughout history, creative people have experimented with mind-altering substances; always have, always will.

What's different today and intensely objectionable, is that the sad, self-destructive behaviour of a few famous alcoholics, bulimics and junkies has become newsworthy in and of itself, despite their obvious lack of talent or product.

It's all rather worrying - a few years ago, being a wino/junkie carried a huge amount of social stigma and would guarantee to remove the oxygen of publicity that these people need. Thesedays, it seems just fine and dandy and no impediment whatsoever to a hugely lucrative career in the 'entertainment' industry.

Bren

Some good points here, but can you let us know exactly which year it was
when "being a wino/junkie carried a huge amount of social stigma and would guarantee to remove the oxygen of publicity that these people need"? I'm curious as I cannot remember it.

Big Bren

domtyler said:
Some good points here, but can you let us know exactly which year it was
when "being a wino/junkie carried a huge amount of social stigma and would guarantee to remove the oxygen of publicity that these people need"? I'm curious as I cannot remember it.

You meant 'me' surely? It's important to own your own words.

And no, I can't let YOU know exactly what year it was - that's why I said 'a few years ago' rather than a specific date.

I guess I was alluding to the time when pop culture was relevant to and aimed at me - the 80's. Revelations of alcohol or drug abuse at that time would, I seem to recall, end a career rather than enhance it.

Bren

domtyler

Über Member
No need to be on the offensive BB, just curious that's all. Can you let ME know who's career was wrecked in the eighties through taking drugs and drinking too much as I cannot seem to recall anyone? Thanks.

red_tom

Wasn't Bix Beiderbecke a notorious drunk? Didn't seem to hurt his career in the 1920s (well, apart from killing him before he reached 30)

Big Bren

domtyler said:
Are you still there Bren?

I am now!

You're being deliberately facetious and that's fine, but would you not agree that in recent years, not only have certain sections of the media made excess acceptable, but have celebrated it to the point that in some cases, those involved become even more bankable; I'm thinking about Amy Winehouse, Kate Moss, Pete Docherty and co?

I may have been generalising somewhat, but I'm certain that in decades gone by, the media would not have reported on alocoholism and drug abuse with the same breathless sensationalism and as such, society would not have so readily accepted it.

Like it or not, the issue of role models for young people is a serious one; it is for me anyhow, since I have two young people of my own to worry about.

Bren

domtyler said:
No need to be on the offensive BB, just curious that's all. Can you let ME know who's career was wrecked in the eighties through taking drugs and drinking too much as I cannot seem to recall anyone? Thanks.
Boy George springs to mind. Drugs wrecked his career. Anyone remember the notorious 'Junkie George Has Eight Weeks To Live' headline?

domtyler

Über Member
Oh come on. Yes, drugs wrecked his career but not because of any kind of national outrage. He just totally lost the plot and became a Harry Krishna.

I am NOT being facetious, I simply want to know at what period in time since pop music began has being involved in drugs and booze been bad for anyone's career from a [bad] publicity perspective.

Nobody can tell me because it never has been. It has only ever been good and that is why pop stars/celebrities are virtually pushed into it these days as it sells stuff.

Top Bottom