Drunken Ebay Bids and/or Purchases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
A "vintage" cycle jersey which is just a tad too small for me :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I bought a 'restored' Talbot Samba Cabriolet, in blue for £750. This one:

4p4w10n.jpg

The MOT was dodgy and it broke down 6 weeks after purchase. Eventually it went for £200.

OK, so I had fun whilst it worked. And I learnt I like convertibles, so now own a Lime Yellow Saab 9-3 Aero one. But, it was a daft purchase.

Do I win? :tongue:

Last edited:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
A crate of frozen cornish pasties.

Now that might sound to some as a good thing but they took up half the freezer and after the second pasty or so, the attraction wears off.

MarkF

Guru
Not for ages, but when Ebay was a novelty, it and drink produced lots of vehicles that I didn't actually want........

Volvo 740GL Auto (Stamford) £200 and I loved it, only wife, children and neighbourly pressure made me scrap it.
Kawasaki 750 Spectre (Southend)
Mazda MX5 (Gloucester)
Kawasaki GT550 (Yarm)
Vespa PX125 (Bristol:sad:)

stephec

Legendary Member
I bought a 'restored' Talbot Samba Cabriolet, in blue for £750. This one:

4p4w10n.jpg

The MOT was dodgy and it broke down 6 weeks after purchase. Eventually it went for £200.

OK, so I had fun whilst it worked. And I learnt I like convertibles, so now own a Lime Yellow Saab 9-3 Aero one. But, it was a daft purchase.

Remember when you used to play Top Trumps and there was one card you used to pray you'd get when they were being dealt out?

Well if we were playing forum Top Trumps this would be that card.

You must've emptied the entire drinks cabinet. :eek:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Hell no!! I once bought a grounded Railway Van that was on a farm for the grand total of..... Wait for it...... 99P.
You know, the old freight wagons without the wheels that people on farms use to store things in?

I was going to use it for storage purposes as I was thinking about preserving something at the time, but I didn't have anywhere readily available to put it, and the transportation costs to Scotland alone would have been silly (It was in Oxfordshire), and also it turned out to be in worse condition than the seller originally thought, so (thankfully) with a lot of understanding from the seller, it was abandoned!! :blush::laugh:

I wonder whatever happened to it.

Last edited:

surfdude

Veteran
had a mate who dad was a millionaire got pi**ed one night and spent £70000 on some harleys davidsons from ebay . he kept them for a few months with the intention of passing his test but never got around to it so sold them on . not sure if he made a profit or not

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i don't think i've bought anything off Ebay whilst sober... but thankfully when the mystery package turns up it's not something too daft. A while back on the radio there was mention of a guy who'd bought a bargain loft ladder... when it was delivered the 'too good to be true' price was justified by the fact he'd purchased a loft ladder for doll's house.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
i don't think i've bought anything off Ebay whilst sober... but thankfully when the mystery package turns up it's not something too daft. A while back on the radio there was mention of a guy who'd bought a bargain loft ladder... when it was delivered the 'too good to be true' price was justified by the fact he'd purchased a loft ladder for doll's house.

And that's why you need to be careful that the listing has the dimensions on it... See this video from The Real Hustle for a good example.

KneesUp

Guru
When it was relatively new I didn't really 'get' that on eBay, there will always be another one listed of whatever it is you are bidding on. Plus I was young and impatient.

Unfortunately I came up against someone else who hadn't learned those lessons either when bidding on an HP Jornada - one of the original folding ones, like a tiny laptop:

jornada.jpg

So it ended up being rather expensive (and basically useless - I wanted it to create lesson plans on when I was in teacher training, but the screen was too small - and for the money I paid I might as well have bought a laptop)

Top Bottom