dry behind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icky

gone pedlin
Well rainy season is upon us and I was considering fitting mudguards to the road bike any advice greatly received :pump:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
There's a rainy season?

It really does depend on how much clearance you have between the brake calipers and tyres?

Whether or not the guards need to be easily removed or semi-permanent (winter only?) or not?

If there are any mounting eyelets on the stays and forks?

There is quite a good article on Road.cc about this today which goes into the pros and cons of the various options, along with a selection of contenders.
http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/96939-buyer’s-guide-mudguards-keeping-you-dry-winter

My Defy has full length guards all year round, saves me a lot of cleaning :-)

RedRider

Pulling through
Well rainy season is upon us and I was considering fitting mudguards to the road bike any advice greatly received :pump:
I've taken some pics of and added some thoughts about fitting my SKS chromoplastics here. You don't need mounting eyelets but you do need clearance.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My "winter" bike is a Specialized Tricross; not a true cyclocross bike but more a cross-purpose bike. It's heavier than the roadie but it's comfortable, smooth, very stable especially on packed snow and mud, with great gearing and BB7 disc brakes and it takes mudguards and a rack. I don't use it very often but when I do, I remember why I like it so much. It accelerates slowly but once up to speed it bowls along very nicely and on a recent 70 mile ride I felt pretty comfortable.

Jumping from that onto the carbon roadie is quite a contrast!

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
SKS Race blade long, apparently they will fit any road bike with close clearance, just ordered a set for my Colnago Master to which I am told is immoral and borderline sacralidge and apparently I might wake up with a horse head on my pillow! Anyway back on subject, hope these do fit because at close to £40 there not cheap, will let you know how good they are when they arrive.

sheffgirl

I bought some cheap mudguards from Decathlon. I don't think I fitted the back one properly and the bolt kept working loose, so I took it off. I only really got them to stop the rain splashing in my eyes and making me blink constantly. The front one serves its purpose, I don't mind my back getting wet anyway.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wouldn't fit my Giant Avail (WSD Defy)...Crummy cruds or Giant's own only
Odd because i have never had any trouble with cruds , no rub or rattles although i know of people on here have problems with them, its all in the set up and clearances.
Mine stay on the commuter/winter bike all year around and the extra piece that stops the muck getting on the drive train on the rear gaurd is great .

vickster

Legendary Member
25mm tyres...to be honest I wouldn't know how to fiddle with them, they seem to rub less when I loosen the little screws, but then the bl**dy thing goes awol

Top Bottom