Dry Chain

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Iainj837, 13 May 2010.

1. Iainj837

Iainj837 Über Member

I was wondering how do I stop my chain from drying out.
    I have to lub it most days dry or wet conditions.

2. Moodyman

Moodyman Guru

What lube are you using? How much riding (miles) do you do?

If you use spray lubes they don't last longer than a single short-mid distance ride.

If you use the bottle liquid lubes then you need to get a better quality lube than what you have.

3. jimboalee

jimboalee New Member

Rule 1. Do not put anything on a chain that disolves grease.

4. OP
    OP
    Iainj837

Iainj837 Über Member

I do 20 plus miles a day, that is just commuting miles.

I have been using a spray lub which I bought from Halfords but will buya better quality.
    What is the best one to use

5. pauljonhaz

pauljonhaz New Member

I use and recommend this Finish Line wet lube even though it is a wet lube I use it all year round, good in all conditions.

6. PpPete

PpPete Guru

I used to use Finish Line wet lube too - but the price just seemed to increase every month (not that I was buying it that often, just looking out for specials)

Abortive attempt with Halfords Dry Lube - avoid.

Now changed to ProLink Gold.....picks up a lot less of the black grinding paste, and very economical when used from the pen applicator - literally one small drop on each link, which doesnt take as long as you'd imagine, then a quick wipe over.

7. Armegatron

Armegatron Active Member

+1
    I was using some cheap lube from GoOutdoors but it quickly gunked up. I use Finish Line Wet Lube now and the chain looks cleaner and doesnt attract as much muck. It also doesnt need cleaning as often.

8. SimonC

SimonC Well-Known Member

+1 for Finish Line Wet Lube. Spray version is good stuff and lasts a long time.

9. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

I used to find the wet lube picked up more gunk so I use finish line dry lube

10. Moodyman

Moodyman Guru

Finish Line Cross Country. It's not cheap, but works best and the bottle lasts a long time as you only need a little bit

11. 139NI

139NI Senior Member

try '3 in 1'.

200mls for 2.99p from Robert Dyas

not the best, nor the worst. good value medium viscosity lube.

12. OP
    OP
    Iainj837

Iainj837 Über Member

I have been using GT 85 I have been using another brand but can't remember which one. It doesn't work for long I can get to work and back before it stops working

13. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

GT85 isn't the right stuff for a chain, you'd be better off using extra virgin Olive Oil than gt85!!

as many have said, Finish Line wet is the stuff to use

14. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

3in1 not appropriate either

dry is ok for summer but is washed off by rain

I used it last year but am still nowhere near finishing a wet I bought for winter, makes me laugh about people complaining about the cost of a bottle of oil that lasts a year

15. OP
    OP
    Iainj837

Iainj837 Über Member

Thanks for the advice, I went out and bought Muc-off wet lube it cost 6.99 for a125 ml bottle. I have put a little on and the chain sounds so much smoother

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice