Dry Lube Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
[QUOTE 3650571, member: 9609"]May be with your 'baby wipes' you are pushing the dirt deep into the bearing of your chain, copious oil would flush it out and also lubricate the other components !

Anyway - So how many miles do you get out of your chain and cassette ?

In my OP I was asking a question regarding the 'dry lube' and if it looked normal (I have never used it before and it seemed a bit thick and grease like to me) TBH I am not that interested if you think there is some dirt on the chain, I don't have some weird chain fettish, and I use my bike outdoors![/QUOTE]
4500 out of current chain and cassette. It woud flow better if you didn't have such a dirty chain. Your perseverance on cheap chainsaw oil and disregarding advice you asked for makes me wonder why you even asked the question.

Citius

How is the lube meant to get where the dirt is then?

The lube won't be going anywhere, because it is too thick to penetrate. If it wasn't, it would flow into the rollers. It really has nothing to do with the supposed cleanliness of the chain.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have to agree, the lube is not doing its thing. On the flip side it wouldn't be doing a great job anyway, as that chain is covered in gunk. There's no question about it!

bpsmith

Veteran
image.jpg
image.jpg
Compare these pics, not my bikes, to the first pic of the thread...

puffinbilly

Veteran
Without inflaming this thread any further - I hope - as to whether the chain is dirty or not etc. @User9609 why not try giving the chain a good clean with some white spirit or a cloth or both and then warming the dry lube and applying and see if that's any better. I'm not saying the chain is dirty - just the solution would seem to be to try this before throwing the dry lube - it'll only take a few minutes to do.

bpsmith

Veteran
My chains are like that. I don't use a 5 min baby wipe method and never said I did either. ;)

I use a chain cleaning tool and then gently hose off with the fan spray pattern. Leave to thoroughly dry out and then use Muc Off dry lube.

Cleaning takes 10 mins. Living about 5 mins the morning after. Use less than your pic and turn the chain backwards, whilst dropping on inside of bottom of chain. By the time there is a drop on each roller, it has already seeped in nicely. Really simple and no blow torch in sight. :smile:

Top Bottom