Dry or wet lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Nope but it smells nice :laugh:

Cant work out which to go for!

Road bike I plan to just go out in dry weather - in winter this could be damp, with spray on roads but not when raining.
Hybrid - As above aside from those times when i go out and i get an unexpected shower!

I really need one 'in between' - but which of the 2 is best to use based on above? Leaning towards wet?
If you are rigorous about cleaning your chain you'll get away with dry all through summer and most of winter (depending where you live). I'm less rigorous though (except in winter when I am rigorous) and use Finishline Ceramic Wet Lube. In summer I can leave that a few weeks no problem and wipe it off revealing a clean chain. Other wet lubes take a bit more work and attract muck.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
If you are rigorous about cleaning your chain you'll get away with dry all through summer and most of winter (depending where you live). I'm less rigorous though (except in winter when I am rigorous) and use Finishline Ceramic Wet Lube. In summer I can leave that a few weeks no problem and wipe it off revealing a clean chain. Other wet lubes take a bit more work and attract muck.
Yep I’m using ceramic , cleans easy , however in depths of winter the green wet lube stuff goes on!

Yep I’m using ceramic , cleans easy , however in depths of winter the green wet lube stuff goes on!
I still used it (Finish line wet lube) when I lived in Fife but it was cleaned straight after a ride or at worst the next day but it always lasted/ protected nicely and wasn't too much extra work. I used Muc Off Ceramic Wet lube last winter when I was back in Fife, it was sh1te. Wouldn't even last a ride and if you didn't clean the chain within 20 mins of getting back from a ride (before you've even had a chance to eat/ recover) it was a night mare :sad:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Its all ballaches IMO, don`t believe any of the marketing crap. I remember reading a pro mechanics comments about wet and dry lube and they use wet lube all the time no matter what. I just except that a need to clean and lube my chain once a week in summer depending on weather. In winter more frequently. I`ve also experimented with chainsaw oil and its just messy, does it work ? I`m sure it does but not for me !

Ajax Bay

Guru
Could you bear to ride a chain lubricated with an oil/wax called "Bananaslip Tungsten". What function has the 'W' got, exactly, let alone 'banana' extract? Engineers or marketeers?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can't beat regular oiling and cleaning. Something you've got to be on top of with an MTB, less so with a road bike in the dry.

Dusty conditions on an MTB soon uses up the lube on a chain, hence just as important to re-oil in the dry as in the wet. You can get away with not re-oiling a road bike in dry conditions for some time.

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Well for the 1st 2 years of my hybrid I don't think i even touched the chain!!!

But do plan to keep on top of it this time!!!

rivers

How far can I go?
On my summer bike and TT bike, I use juice lubes chain wax. On my winter bike, I use juice lubes wet lube

straas

Matt
I quite like Squirt wax lube, seems really nice and clean.

I've tried finishlines wet and their dry - the wet seems to attract a lot of gunk.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
3 in 1 isn't bad in dry conditions. It washes off a bit too easily in rain but it is easy to clean off when you need to. Best of all, it goes slightly gummy after a week or so, which quietens the chain.

davidphilips

Veteran
Only my view but keeping the chain cassette and chainrings really clean and lubricate as required is the key, what lubricant or how you clean is all personal preference,
Have seen cyclists oiling dirty chains and can not help but think they might as well just be applying grinding paste, again only my view but even an old chain should look like new and the only way to tell its old would be to check the wear.
Only advice i would offer for lub would be little and often.

Top Bottom