DS light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
zimzum42 said:
Maplins sell the screwdrivers you need

Thanks,i might have a go at cleaning the contacts

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
Games are expensive unless you get them in the US. My sons were very impressed with a 30'ish lady who had one at the airport in Florida and was connecting to the web/sending an e-mail on it.

Ha! I'm one of those people who tends to wave her hands/arms about to gesture, even when talking on the phone. Does this mean I could send gestures in emails?;)

A 30'ish lady? That's one very very tall lady...

SamNichols

Have you tried blowing on it? That used to work with gameboys and SNES.
Or there is a strange chain called: 'computer exchange' who seem sufficiently dodgy that they'd be able to fix it: they always used to be famous for being the ones who'd chip your playstation.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if the thing's knackered and out of warranty, nintendo uk will swap it for a brand spanking new one for £40-£50. they did this for my daughter's advance sp (about £35), and never billed me for it.

SamNichols

By the way, has anyone who owns one of these ever played: Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney? Imagine the pleasure I got for watching a business man sheepishly playing this game on a late-night train from London to Exeter. Trying to quietly whisper, 'objection' every now and again, at a small white box in your hands only makes you look crazy.

ajevans

Just chipping in to express a strong recommendation for the DS lite.

Bought one last year and play it all the time (on the commute or on the loo at work!). The games are on the pricey side but not OTT if you buy online.

There's a lot of great games but plenty of dudd ones so a good site for seeing what games are good 'uns is http://www.metacritic.com/games/ds

Mario Kart DS is pretty special, as is Advance Wars Dual Strike if you like strategy games. Zelda for the DS is also pretty good.

There's some great puzzle games available such as Picross DS, and Meteos.

The one thing that can be slightly annoying is some games like you to shout at the DS. Which is an issue if you're playing on the train as SamNichols mentioned.

PrettyboyTim

dan_bo said:
yeah one of those 'manufactured' shortages i think to push prices up. I paid through the nose for ours.

I don't think it's intentional on the part of Nintendo - after all, they don't make any money from people selling them at inflated prices on eBay, and more hardware sales is good for them as it results in more software sales, which they also make money on.

Their problem is that the Wii has been selling incredibly well. Normally console sales over the summer tail off, which allows console manufacturers to stockpile them ready for the huge demand they'll get at Christmas. Nintendo's problem is that people have been buying Wiis as fast as Nintendo can make them, so they've not been able to stockpile. They upped capacity to manufacture 17.5 million Wiis this year (which is almost 1.7 million Wiis per month, or about 1 Wii every two seconds), but it still doesn't seem like it's enough.

longers

Legendary Member
My Dad got a DS Lite for my Mum for the Brain training game. He struggled to find one and did well to get it.

We came back last night after a bite out for tea.

One of the dogs had eaten it :smile:

They broke in and ransacked the bin, ate the Baklava we were going to have with a brew and munched on his hard won present. It didn't all get eaten but it definately doesn't work anymore. Ouch!

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Iv been on and off mine all the time since daddy christmas put it under my tree,great fun,i cant get off the pinball game when i play it.

Plax

Guru
I had a DS lite, it was great, but hasn't got all that many "adult" games, and I found many of the games too easy. I've got a PSP now.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
longers said:
My Dad got a DS Lite for my Mum for the Brain training game. He struggled to find one and did well to get it.

We came back last night after a bite out for tea.

One of the dogs had eaten it :smile:

They broke in and ransacked the bin, ate the Baklava we were going to have with a brew and munched on his hard won present. It didn't all get eaten but it definately doesn't work anymore. Ouch!

get rid of the dogs (miaow)

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Not knowing a great deal about the games scene,the brain training was the attraction in the first place,but iv found im enjoying as i said,pinball,and a racing game called burnout legend,also 42 alltime classics,which has a load of card games,pool,darts,bowling and mahjong ect too.But i dont want to go and get a game i like the look of,and be dissapointed,so could anyone more knowledgable on the ds games,give me a top five ish,so i have an idea please?

red_tom

col said:
Not knowing a great deal about the games scene,the brain training was the attraction in the first place,but iv found im enjoying as i said,pinball,and a racing game called burnout legend,also 42 alltime classics,which has a load of card games,pool,darts,bowling and mahjong ect too.But i dont want to go and get a game i like the look of,and be dissapointed,so could anyone more knowledgable on the ds games,give me a top five ish,so i have an idea please?

Metacritic is a good bet for this. It calculates the average of the scores for a large cross section of reviews. Check

http://www.metacritic.com/games/ds/scores/

My top five is probably
Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of a Ruin
Elite Beat agents
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords

Top Bottom